Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if Intuit TurboTax made a mistake on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

168 Replies

What mistake do you think TT made?   What tax year?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you believe that TurboTax made a mistake on your taxes, please follow the directions listed below. Please click this TurboTax Help link How do I submit a claim under the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee or 100% Accurate, Expert Approved Guarantee? to learn more. 

Before you submit your claim, make sure that:

• You received an assessment notice regarding a tax return that shows the penalties and/or interests you owe.
  • Your contact information is current.
  • You filed an amended return after we fixed the error if we asked you to do so. (Don't worry about this part if you didn't receive these instructions from us).
  • For the 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee:
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lindddseyyyy
Returning Member

Hi! 

My issue is that although I entered the correct amounts from my W2 turbotax filed my 1040 with double the income so I owe $500+. I tried to do the amend however the correct numbers are in there already so I don't understand how that would have the correct income amount but what was filed was incorrect. Not sure how to go about correcting this if there are two different entries.

I clicked the link provided, but 2019 is not available to file a claim. 

Please Help!

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

See the link below for TurboTax guarantees. https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just found out that the tax exempt interest reported on my Federal return was not transferred to my State return. This was in 2017

When you entered the tax exempt interest there was a follow up screen to indicate which state it belonged to ... failure to correctly identify this is a data entry error by the user not a TT flaw.  

dfree2020

I received an audit by mail which states my 2018 taxes included a deduction for prior year AMT.  I didn't input that, assume TT did and don't know if it was correct or not.  How do I check to see if the deduction was correct when I didn't compute or input anything?  I did have prior years of AMT, but I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been a carry over to 2018.

I went to file my taxes and turbotax said good job on filing your taxes early but form 8889 isnt available sign up for email notifications so I did.  I signed on the next day it said the same thing but no forms were listed underneath this time and it let me continue BUT now my 8889 form says DO NOT FILE FORM NOT FINAL  why ? I checked and everything is correct 

First don't be in a rush to file, the IRS will not start processing returns until 2/12 at the earliest so you have time to make sure everything is correct.  

Now go back to the Federal tab and click on Federal Review ... see if you can clear that section or there are still things you need to wait on.   If everything is kosher there then click on the REVIEW tab  and then to the FILE tab.  

Call them where they put you on hold will not even doing anything and then come back and tell you it’s the IRS fault. This year turbo tax decided to “add” a mysterious relief credit to my return even though I already received the full amount for both. This has caused the IRS to delay my return based on that information. When I called customer service I was unable to get any type of additional information and when I informed him regarding line 30’s amount he seemed surprised. Hoping this resolved soon for myself as well as other who are truly needing their return. 

Subject: 2020 Tax Return.

Just want you to be aware of an issue with your software and tech support.

I hope this gets escalated before it happens on a mass scale – not good PR.

I have used your product for decades and have been happy with the accurate results.

Over the past few years the product has become more about ads than accuracy.

The issues -

Your software doubled last year's state refund applied to this year's tax.

On import from 2019 the Massachusetts State refund applied to our 2020 estimated taxes came over as $618 instead of $309. Exactly double.

Tech support stated it cannot be fixed - Now I need to file my state by paper through the mail to correct the mistake. Along with all the supporting documentation to explain this situation.

Support(Delinda, Deronda?) was friendly but no help.

She stated she sent a refund for the $40 state charge by email. Just a lie to get me off the phone – And I don’t really care about the 40 bucks.

Due to this issue the problem will carry forward so I will not use your product going forward. It can't be trusted and I'm not filing a paper return every year.

Up until this year your product worked accurately.  Although painful with the ads. Maybe allow the user to check a box to prevent them. I don't care how many times you ask if I want to upgrade to MAX I'm not using it.

Good bye Turbo Tax.

I answered that I received all economic stimulus/recovery payments yet Turbo Tax claimed a $600 credit on line 30? 

Appears to be lack of product testing prior to the 2020 roll out. It would be nice if tech support actually provided support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies