Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

The deposited in my Fidelity Brokerage account even though I had stipulated my checking account. The really annoying thing was they absolutely insisted they had not and could not change my instructions after I had filed my return. Obviously from all the others who have had this same issue, this is not an isolated case.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

We had the exact same thing happen to us, very frustrating.  Still dealing with it.

@vanmacnair   That's happened before.  It's was from the broker.   If you logged into Turbo Tax by going though an investment website like Fidelity, Those have been known to change your deposit to your investment account. So check all your accounts if you have those.

Yes. I signed up with Credit Karma in order to get a discount to file. Turbo Tax offered it. I had no idea that's the account they have now instead of my original bank.  Now that I know I'm okay with Credit Karma. First time I used their debit card they credited me back the full purchase. One of their perks. So it was a leaning experience that ended up positive. Good luck 🤞

I’m having the exact same issue right now but for me it’s a bank in West Virginia I have no association to. Did you ever get this sorted out? @achtungapril 

@Itdoesntmatter  wrote:

I’m having the exact same issue right now but for me it’s a bank in West Virginia I have no association to. Did you ever get this sorted out?

Do you happen to have a brokerage account?  If so, check with the brokerage to see what underlying bank they use to manage their cash accounts.   Some folks who imported financial info from a financial institution and were later looking for "missing" refunds have found that their refund went to their brokerage account, which uses an underlying bank to administer cash funds.

If you chose to pay any TurboTax product fees out of your Federal refund, then the refund goes from the IRS to a temporary bank account administered by a company SBTPG.   If you used that method to pay TurboTax fees, we can tell you how to check on it.

That’s what happened to me. When I filed, my bank account was to be the deposit institution. TurboTax insisted there was no way my deposit instructions could have been changed after I filed and essentially said “tough.” This obviously happens all the time yet they offered no help in solving the problem. I have lost all my respect for TT.

alyssa121

how is it not possible it happened to me as well, and to others as well, turbo tax changed the bank information. my account and routing is completely different to my orginal numbers 

@alyssa121 wrote:

how is it not possible it happened to me as well, and to others as well, turbo tax changed the bank information. my account and routing is completely different to my orginal numbers 

If you requested to have the TurboTax account fees deducted from your federal tax refund, the IRS will send the refund to a third party processor to have the fees and the service charge deducted. The third party processor will deduct the TurboTax fees plus the service charge and then attempt to direct deposit the remaining refund balance into the account that you entered on your tax return.

For the status of your tax refund you will need to contact the third party processor, Santa Barbara Tax Product Group, using their website - https://www.sbtpg.com/

Tax Products Group Contact Information - https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information
On this page you can also scroll down and click on Submit a request

Or https://taxpayer.sbtpg.com/

Call 1-877-908-7228

cbc2021
Returning Member

I eventually found it in my brokerage account, thanks to some of the advice a year ago. What's problematic is that Intuit's computer system put in my brokerage account instead of the specific bank account that I placed in the account/routing information. I assume it was some kind of internal error when I uploaded my 1099's.

Never had any issue with any online tax form until I used TurboTax. Definitely never again.

This happened to me too.  I filed my taxes electronically, and near the end of the process, Turbotax gave me the option of using two accounts that it claimed I had used in previous years for refunds.  The choices were a Schwab account or a Bank of America account, both of which I have accounts.  I chose the Schwab and indicated to just take the fees out of the refund for Turbotax services. This then pulls in another partner Tax Products Group.  They sent me an email saying "my refund would be deposited soon".  It never showed up so I went and checked the actual documents that Turbotax had submitted and to my surprise there is an unidentified routing and account number on the 1040. I look the  routing number up, its JP Morgan / Chase.  I then call them and give them the account number. Their reply - THE ACCOUNT NUMBER DOES NOT EXIST and THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF ME EVER HAVING AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.  So where did this number come from? I didn't enter the number. I chose an option.  You can only call intuit. You can't document your discussions through writing such as an email exchange.  I think this is a bug and I think Intuit knows it.

@ mcprasifka wrote:

This happened to me too.  I filed my taxes electronically, and near the end of the process, Turbotax gave me the option of using two accounts that it claimed I had used in previous years for refunds.  The choices were a Schwab account or a Bank of America account, both of which I have accounts.  I chose the Schwab and indicated to just take the fees out of the refund for Turbotax services. This then pulls in another partner Tax Products Group.  They sent me an email saying "my refund would be deposited soon".  It never showed up so I went and checked the actual documents that Turbotax had submitted and to my surprise there is an unidentified routing and account number on the 1040. I look the  routing number up, its JP Morgan / Chase.  I then call them and give them the account number. Their reply - THE ACCOUNT NUMBER DOES NOT EXIST and THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF ME EVER HAVING AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.  So where did this number come from? I didn't enter the number. I chose an option.  You can only call intuit. You can't document your discussions through writing such as an email exchange.  I think this is a bug and I think Intuit knows it.

Brokerages can use intermediary banks to handle their cash deposits. 

Phone Charles Schwab brokerage customer service and ask them if they use JP Morgan/Chase as an intermediary for their cash accounts to receive incoming direct deposits such as tax refunds.   Also ask Schwab if your deposit has shown up in your brokerage cash account.

They are related.  One poster found this.....

The refund was sent to a bank I didn't recognize because Schwab where I have an account uses an intermediary bank, JP Morgan. So the refund was in my Schwab account which has little activity and I had not checked. I had not had a refund in so long, I did not remember the default account I had set up years ago for refunds.

gsmith003

This just happened to me as well. For some reason the routing number for the state return was correct but not the federal return. The routing number is not associated with any bank I've ever had nor with a bank account I've ever had. I tried calling Turbotax and its a disaster. Just an endless loop of automated hell. 

@gsmith003 wrote:

This just happened to me as well. For some reason the routing number for the state return was correct but not the federal return. The routing number is not associated with any bank I've ever had nor with a bank account I've ever had. I tried calling Turbotax and its a disaster. Just an endless loop of automated hell. 

Did you request to have the TurboTax account fees paid from the federal tax refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies