Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If I've been waiting over 21 days, what irs number do I call

According to this IRS update as of April 16th:  

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 9, 2021, we had 1.5 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 9, 2021, we had 16.2 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Advance Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

E-filing your 2020 tax return: To e-file you will need to enter your AGI from your tax year 2019 tax return.  If your 2019 return has not yet been processed, you may enter $ 0 (zero) as your prior year Adjusted Gross Income. If you used the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool last year to register for an Economic Impact Payment, enter “$1” as your prior year AGI. See Claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit if you aren’t required to file a tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I still don’t have it and they say I have to wait 10 weeks to call back and get any information 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to wait until the IRS completes its process.  They will notify you if they make any changes or will just take a bit longer to process your return if they agree with everything reported on your tax return.  

I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Please see the links below for additional information if you were getting a refund, or how you can view the latest changes to your account with the IRS.

Why is my refund taking longer to process

View your tax account with the IRS

@Dananwayne

What do I do if I just get an electronic response that my refund will be processed in 21 days.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS update as of April 30th:    

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 23, 2021, we had 1.3 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 23, 2021, we had 16.9 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

I filed and turbo tax confirmed acceptance March 14th.  We are more than 12 weeks out.  I have attempted for 2 weeks to get to a human at IRS.  Via emails, phone calls.  
all I get is Pre recorded msgs. 
it is processing. 
according to Irs web they are also overdue with our refund 

Some help please 

This number is to pre recordings 

it is of no use if you have not received your return 

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then a date for Sending will be available on the IRS website.   Turbotax is not able to assist you any longer ... they are out of the loop once your return has been filed successfully. 

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Then press 4 for all other inquiries.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

ss4747

I am sick and tired of hearing there are delays due to the Covid pandemic.  I have not heard of any major layoffs at the IRS, so where is my refund and the refund of thousands of other good hard-working taxpayers, who are also citizens of the USA and not here illegally but receiving entitlements they are not entitled to receive.  Stop the excuses and get to work earning the high-income taxpayers are paying you at the IRS!

There were no layoffs instead they could not HIRE back their seasonal workers and/or hire enough new staff this year  so instead of  venting on this public internet forum where we have no influence on the IRS and contact your local Congress Person and demand they fund the IRS properly so they can staff sufficiently for all the extra  jobs they are now expected to do and upgrade their aging computer systems. 

The IRS was closed for several months last year for Covid-19 like a lot of places.   They are still catching up with 2019 returns.   They are way behind.    Plus they are reviewing all the returns that claimed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.  There are a lot of errors on line 30 and the IRS has to correct the returns.

it’s been 21 days, who do I contact.

@Pinkey64  wrote:

it’s been 21 days, who do I contact.

If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

its been over 21 days how come i dont have my refund? no child tax credit no stumpuis either isnt urbotax suppose find out for me

Once you file there is nothing TT can do for you ... it is a DIY tax program where you file your own return. 

Per the IRS  FAQ: 

How quickly will I get my refund?

We issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days. However, it’s possible your tax return may require additional review and take longer. Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund.

It is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue refunds for some 2020 tax returns that require review including incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amounts, or that used 2019 income to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC).

I’m counting on my refund for something important. Can I expect to receive it in 21 days?

Many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after we receive your return. Even though we issue most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your refund may take longer. Also, remember to take into consideration the time it takes for your financial institution to post the refund to your account or for you to receive it by mail.

It's been longer than 21 days since the IRS received my return and I haven’t gotten my refund. Why?

Some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

• Includes errors, such as incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit
  • Is incomplete
  • Needs further review in general
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
  • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation PDF, which could take up to 14 weeks to process

For the latest information on IRS refund processing during the COVID-19 pandemic, see the IRS Operations Status page.

We will contact you by mail when (or if) we need more information to process your return. If we’re still processing your return or correcting an error, neither Where’s My Refund? or our phone representatives will be able to provide you with your specific refund date. Please check Where’s My Refund? for updated information on your refund.

I claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on my tax return. When can I expect my refund?

According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects most EITC/Additional CTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by  March 1, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. However, some taxpayers may see their refunds a few days earlier. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

Where’s My Refund? on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go mobile app remains the best way to check the status of a refund. WMR on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC/ACTC refund filers by February 19.

Will calling you help me get my refund any faster?

No. unless Where’s My Refund? directs you to call us, our representatives will not be able to provide any additional information.

If Where’s My Refund? says that we’re still processing your return, our representatives won’t be able to give you a specific refund date.

What information does Where’s My Refund? have?

Usually information on the most recent tax year refund we have on file for you.

Can I use Where’s My Refund? to check the status of a refund on a prior year return.

Where’s My Refund? will display the status of your most recently filed tax return within the past two tax years.

When can I start checking Where’s My Refund? for my refund’s status?

Twenty-four hours after we’ve received your electronically filed tax return or 4 weeks after you’ve mailed a paper tax return.

Will Where’s My Refund? show me when I’ll receive my refund?

Where’s My Refund? will give you a personalized date after we process your return and approve your refund.

Will ordering a transcript help me find out when I’ll get my refund?

A tax transcript will not help you find out when you’ll get your refund. The information transcripts have about your account does not necessarily reflect the amount or timing of your refund. They are best used to validate past income and tax filing status for mortgage, student and small business loan applications, and to help with tax preparation.

I’m a nonresident alien. I don’t have to pay U.S. federal income tax. How do I claim a refund for federal taxes withheld on income from a U.S. source? When can I expect to receive my refund?

To claim a refund of federal taxes withheld on income from a U.S. source, a nonresident alien must report the appropriate income and withholding amounts on Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return PDF. You must include the documents substantiating any income and withholding amounts when you file your Form 1040NR. We need more than 21 days to process a 1040NR return. Please allow up to 6 months from the date you filed the 1040NR for your refund.

How will I know you’re processing my tax return?

Where’s My Refund? follows your tax return from receipt to completion. It will tell you when your return is in received status and if your refund is in approved or sent status.

What is happening when Where’s My Refund? shows my tax return status as received?

We have your tax return and are processing it.

What is happening when Where’s My Refund? shows my refund’s status as approved?

We’ve approved your refund. We are preparing to send your refund to your bank or directly to you in the mail. This status will tell you when we will send the refund to your bank (if you selected the direct deposit option). Please wait 5 days after we’ve sent the refund to check with your bank about your refund, since banks vary in how and when they credit funds. (It could take several weeks before you receive a mailed refund check.)

How long will it take for my status to change from return received to refund approved?

Sometimes a few days, but it could take longer.

Does Where’s My Refund? always display my refund status showing the different stages of return received, refund approved and refund sent?

No, not always. Sometimes, when we are still reviewing your return, instead, it will display instructions or an explanation of what we are doing.

Does Where’s My Refund? update often?

Once per day, usually at night. There’s no need to check more often.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies