turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My Turbo Tax says my return has been accepted, but the IRS website says it hasn't been? Is this normal?

@JoeLee Frustrating as it may be, all you can do is wait while the short-staffed IRS tries to process millions of tax returns while also trying to send out millions of stimulus checks.  TurboTax will not receive any further updates about the status of your refund.  The IRS site is your source of information.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Nick_R_82
Returning Member

My Turbo Tax says my return has been accepted, but the IRS website says it hasn't been? Is this normal?

Filed taxes late this year back on April 10th. Status via TurboTax is currently stuck on 'Accepted'. Tried to get the information in there due to making sure the IRS has my current bank details on file. I can confirm Turbo DID submit my return as it is currently under processing with the IRS. However, I am unable to update the payment details nor am I able to confirm if they have the correct information on file. I've tried creating an account and seeing what was already there to possibly modify the details but it does not recognize my information. I've tried for about an hour going back and forth making sure what I submitted was corrected since the IRS is very meticulous about details. Still no luck there. So now I'm concerned. Mostly about the Covid Stimulus payment. Should I instead use the tool the IRS provided to add direct deposit info? Or should I wait for them to process my return which in turn will provide them with my current financial institution details? Due to Covid I'm unsure how long this could take due to being short staffed and overwhelmed. What if I miss the stimulus check window? Need advice ASAP! Thank you. 

I’m having the same issue. I filed on April 5th and within 24 hours I received an email confirming my tax return was accepted by both federal and state. Many people I know received their COVID-19 stimulus today. I did not. I checked the IRS tool and it said payment status not available. I then went to check to see what my refund status was and after downloading the app it said “Information does not match or not found”. I tried with both mine and my husband’s info. I also made sure I used, verbatim, the correct information listed on my tax return. I still keep getting the same error. I checked my states refund status site and it said my refund was processing and I filed together, so my federal taxes were definitely sent. When I spoke to someone earlier (I was so panicked, I called) they explained that the irs website and database was possibly backed up due to the Covid-19 stimulus and due to many people filing to ensure 2019 taxes would be used instead of 2018. My status also changed, going from single to married, so she stated this also might have be an issue. All I was told was “eventually”, but no time line or clear explanation this is happening. All I can say is I’m relieved that I’m not the only one experiencing this. Hopefully it will be addressed in the next few days either through here or publicly in some manner.  

Same here. I cant even add my direct deposit info on the Get my payment portal! IRS says my federal return has been accepted, but the IRS says it hasn't been filed.  Wth

I have the same problem. I payed over a year ago.

I'm having the exact same problem TurboTax says my taxes have been accepted but the IRS is saying still processing I've tried to call the IRS they're not accepting phone calls I don't know what to do?

@Lhunt2688 "Accepted" does not mean approved.

Waiting is frustrating—refunds are taking longer in many cases.  These are not normal times.  It is not possible for TurboTax to speed up the IRS for you.  It seems to be taking longer than usual for them to process returns.  They are short staffed; and they are processing millions of tax returns at the same time that they have been burdened with the task of processing millions of stimulus checks.  The IRS is not taking calls right now.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

On the IRS site you are also offered the use of an app called IRS2Go

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Bjp31990

I filled mine Feb 20, turbotax says federeal accepted and so does my state. Got my state back within 2 weeks and now its may 21 and haven't gotten my federal, got my stim check tho. Go to the its wheres my refund and it says it can't find my tax refund and should make sure I entered the correct info which i have so now im staring to think i won't get it 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You will get it.  But if it shows as Accepted in TurboTax but you can't find it on the IRS site, that means the IRS is reviewing something on it.   They are currently not processing paper filed or return needing manual reviews (yours).   As soon as they resume normal operations, which will hopefully be soon, processing of these returns will be completed.  

@Bjp31990

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having a similar issue. I filed February 11, 2020 and it was “accepted” on Turbo tax. When I go to my IRS account it says my 2019 taxes have not been processed. I haven’t gotten any money back. It’s been almost 5 months now and I can’t get ahold of an IRS rep due to covid-19. 

What does this mean? 

Why is it so difficult to check the status of my tax refund return

@hmpterockz79 wrote:

Why is it so difficult to check the status of my tax refund return

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

Woah.  “Read much?” @supremesmommy201  

I think it’s more fitting to ask if you are entitled much? 
You do realize that someone bothered to type a reply in an effort to assist and had no obligation to do so.  
There is absolutely no reason to insult someone who took the time to try to help simply because you didn’t feel their response covered the entirety of the question.  You weren’t even the OP on the thread.  
Wow.  

Clearly the question. 

Clearly they are talking about the original question and not all of the comments! Dah. 🤣😂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies