Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My Turbo Tax says my return has been accepted, but the IRS website says it hasn't been? Is this normal?

They are saying on TurboTax it says “The IRS has approved your refund”,  but when you go into track my refund, it does NOT say approved yet. 

My Turbo Tax says my return has been accepted, but the IRS website says it hasn't been? Is this normal?

@Blairzee 

TurboTax tells you that your return was "accepted."    "Accepted" does not mean approved.   TurboTax never knows if your refund has been approved because no information is given to TurboTax after you file your tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
orrd

I filed my return with Turbo Tax in Oct 2020 for 2019 but I received notice from IRS that they have not gotten my return.  I need help to give proof I filed with Turbo Tax. 

Same issue here.
Using Turbotax Business to file 1120S. On Turbotax software, status says "Return Accepted". Received email from Turbotax in May 2020 saying my return was "Accepted". Unfortunately, I received a letter from IRS in February 2021 saying I am being charged a (very costly) penalty because my 1120S return was never filed for 2020. When I search for my business return at https://www.taxact.com/ef/efile-center, no record of a return is found. After half a dozen attempts trying to reach a real person at Intuit to discuss this with, I cannot get through and keep getting hung up on during hold. What gives?

@Poblanok wrote:

Same issue here.
Using Turbotax Business to file 1120S. On Turbotax software, status says "Return Accepted". Received email from Turbotax in May 2020 saying my return was "Accepted". Unfortunately, I received a letter from IRS in February 2021 saying I am being charged a (very costly) penalty because my 1120S return was never filed for 2020. When I search for my business return at https://www.taxact.com/ef/efile-center, no record of a return is found. After half a dozen attempts trying to reach a real person at Intuit to discuss this with, I cannot get through and keep getting hung up on during hold. What gives?

If you used the TurboTax Business edition you would have to installed the software on your Windows based personal computer.

Open the 2019 business program and Continue the 2019 business return you filed.  With the return opened click on Forms.

When in Forms mode look for the Postmark Report on the left side of the screen.  Click on the report to open.

On the Electronic Postmark - Certification of Electronic Filing will be the date/time you transmitted the tax return.  There will also be a date it was Accepted by the IRS, if accepted.

Why you chose to look in a TaxAct website for the TurboTax Business Edition tax return you filed is a mystery.

The only copies of your 2019 1120S return will be on the computer where it was created, completed and filed.  

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The link you provided is for Tax Act, not TurboTax.  To access a prior year return created in TurboTax, please see How do I access a prior year return?

@Poblanok

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response. I tried to follow your instructions, but when I am in the Forms section of TurboTax Business, there is no "Postmark Report". I looked very carefully, because I do not want to waste your time. Please advise.

P.S. "Tax Act" is a misleading name! Thank you for bringing it to my attention that it's a filing company. I thought it was an IRS database, because I found it on a google search for checking e-file records with the IRS. However, the physical letter I received stating I owe a penalty for not filing is definitely from the IRS.

If you e-filed your tax return there should be a Postmark Report listed when in Forms mode.

However, I am not that familiar with the Business Edition so will page our experts that use the Business Edition - @tagteam or @bluedeb I assume the Business Edition has a Postmark Report the same as the personal editions, correct?

@DoninGA I have not e-filed recently (other than some test returns which were rejected, of course) but I do not recall the business returns having the same Postmark Report as, apparently, exists in the personal editions (not sure why that is the case, though).

@tagteam wrote:

@DoninGA I have not e-filed recently (other than some test returns which were rejected, of course) but I do not recall the business returns having the same Postmark Report as, apparently, exists in the personal editions (not sure why that is the case, though).

Ok...Thanks @tagteam Does the Business Edition have the same Electronic Filing section under the File menu as the personal edition so that the OP can see the status of the e-filed return?

@DoninGA   I am not really familiar with the Business Edition.  Sorry I could not help.

@DoninGA wrote:
Ok...Thanks @tagteam Does the Business Edition have the same Electronic Filing section under the File menu as the personal edition so that the OP can see the status of the e-filed return?

@DoninGA  As I recall from previous versions, yes, there is (was) a section where you could check to determine whether the return had been accepted.

Can the Electronic  Postmark be printed out from the following steps?

With your return open in TurboTax, select Electronic Filing > Show Electronic Filing Status History from the File menu. 

@bluedeb wrote:

Can the Electronic  Postmark be printed out from the following steps?

@bluedeb YES, IT CAN! That is a great catch because it is practically impossible for anyone to find that selection without knowing what to look for in the program. 

I went through a rejected test return and saw the entire process, so it works.

Awesome!!  I remember those steps from using the Desktop software!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies