turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I missed a w2

I filed my taxes and ended up receiving a w2 for a third party sick pay which was my short term disability which was less than 2000 dollars. It was a total mistake as I had no idea I'd get a w2 for this. Will IRS still accept my refund if it's missing a refund or what will happen?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I missed a w2

No, because, according to the help article, the IRS doesn't want you to amend until you've already received your tax refund.

Please refer to the following article below. 

Can I amend if I have already received my refund?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

16 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I missed a w2

Short-term disability benefits are taxable when the premiums are paid by your employer. As you received a form W-2, the benefits are taxable and have to be reported on your tax return.

As you have already filed, you have to wait to see if your return is rejected or accepted.

If your return is rejected by the IRS, you can add that W-2 and correct other errors, then re-file your return.

If your return is accepted, you'll need to amend your return. Please note that the amended form will not be ready before mid-February.

To amend your return, please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help topic.

I missed a w2

They accepted it and it is processing. Will they process the return and send me the refund they orginally received and then I just amend it and then they will give me what else is owed or what I have to pay or will they hold my return until I send a amended return.

I missed a w2

I did the samething. I planned on doing the amend my return optio . I have a dumb question, if I filed 2 out of my 3 w2's with turbo tax, instead of waiting until late February could I not just take that 3rd W2 somewhere else and file it? 

I missed a w2

could I not just take that 3rd W2 somewhere else and file it? 

No.  All the 2019 W-2's you received are entered on only one 2019 tax return.  You have to amend your original tax return to add the W-2.

I missed a w2

Thank you

I missed a w2

I am in the same situation. Forgot to add a w-2 and mine has already been accepted. Will this delay getting my original refund? 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I missed a w2

No, because, according to the help article, the IRS doesn't want you to amend until you've already received your tax refund.

Please refer to the following article below. 

Can I amend if I have already received my refund?

Obenitez

I missed a w2

What if I only prepared my document they turbo tax and haven’t filed yet. How can I add another w-2 prior to filing 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

I missed a w2

Here's an article that will help you import your W-2. Please follow the instructions below.

How do I import or enter my W-2? - Community

I missed a w2

You can continue to add W-2's like you did the first one. Like I have 3 and after I finished adding ther first one there should be a tab that says add another W2. 

I missed a w2

Last year I missed two W2s. I was flagged to verify my identity,  and then audited for missing the two w2s. I never received a refund. I actually received a bill. This has never happened to me in any prior tax years, but I've been told the IRS is now checking for all W2s during the process times, and if any are missing you probably wont receive your refund. 

I missed a w2

I dont think they would completely not give you a refund cuz you accidentally forgot a w2. So I think something else might have happened with your return beside missing a w2. My refund has been accepted just waited for them to process it after the 15th because of the EIC and child tax credit delay. I'm really hoping they process it and give me refund amd then I cam just go back and amend for the difference.

jamesh1022
Returning Member

I missed a w2

I am in the same boat as you..forgot a w2. have you recieved any letters? can you see your transcripts?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

I missed a w2

If you forgot a W2 you will need to amend your return. You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original returns and replace them.  They are processed as two separate returns.

Please click the TurboTax Help links, listed below, to learn more.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

Will amending delay my original tax refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies