Can I amend if I already received my refund?

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

English Français
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I amend if I already received my refund?

Of course. In fact, the government doesn't want you to amend until you've already gotten your tax refund.

You're free to cash your refund check or spend it once you have it. You don't need to wait for your amendment to finish processing, which can take another 3-4 months.

If you owe money after amending, you'll just include payment with your mailed amendment form.

And if your amendment results in a second refund, you'll get a check for the additional amount.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings