turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bevnart

I forgot to add my social security income on tax return how do I go aboyt fixing it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
Heather14

I forgot to add my social security income on tax return how do I go aboyt fixing it

Form SSA-1099 reports Social Security benefits you received from the Social Security Administration (SSA). Some examples are Social Security retirement benefits, disability benefits and survivor benefits.

Social Security benefits may or may not be taxable for a given year, depending on certain factors. Very often, Social Security retirement benefits are not taxable at either the federal or state level.  

You might get an SSA-1099-SM or an SSA-1099-R-OP1 instead an SSA-1099. These are handled the same way as a regular SSA-1099. To enter an SSA-1099, please see the following instructions:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767455

Da7457

Forgot to add ssi payments to my wife's return 

I

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If you missed filing a 1099 form from the Social Security Administration with your 2020 tax return when you filed your tax return see this for information on how to amend your tax return: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

The 1040-X amended return is not yet ready in TurboTax but is projected to be on March 25, 2021. Also, you will need to wait to file the amendment until the IRS has accepted and processed your tax return.

If the IRS rejects your tax return you can fix the tax return for the rejection and add the additional income and then resubmit your tax return.

@Da7457

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Pat2468

Forgot to add SSI to return I filed last nite

@Pat2468 wrote:

Forgot to add SSI to return I filed last nite

You will need to amend the 2020 tax return that was filed to add the SS benefits reported on a Form SSA-1099

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

How will I know when my return has been "processed" by the IRS???

@Acts 26-18 wrote:

How will I know when my return has been "processed" by the IRS???

That information will be on the IRS federal tax refund website - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

liz_chappy
Returning Member

I forgot to add in our SSI payments when I filed yesterday. How Do I correct?

@liz_chappy wrote:

I forgot to add in our SSI payments when I filed yesterday. How Do I correct?

You will need to amend the 2021 tax return that was filed to add the SS benefits reported on a Form SSA-1099

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

I forgot to add my social security income on my tax return how do I go about fixing it

@Verawatson wrote:

I forgot to add my social security income on my tax return how do I go about fixing it

You will need to amend the 2021 tax return that was filed to add the SS benefits reported on a Form SSA-1099

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2021 return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2021-return/00/2544441

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you already filed a tax return you must amend your return, after it has been accepted and processed at the IRS, if any of the social security income is taxable on your tax return.

If you have not filed your tax return or if it rejected, you can add it to your tax return and resubmit it through e-file.

To amend your tax return use the link below and be sure to read all the information before you begin so that TurboTax knows the original figures and the changed figures: 

When you are ready enter the Form SSA-1099 by taking the steps below.

• Search (upper right) > ssa1099 > Click the Jump to... Link > begin the entry of your social security

If you find there is no change to the results of your tax return, you do not need to proceed with the amendment process.

@Verawatson

[Edited: 04/18/2022 | 7:33a PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies