turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

How do I delete a tax return I started

@crowes2009

If you are trying to delete a Turbo Tax account, you will have to contact Customer Service. 

This FAQ will provide you the steps to contact an agent. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

If you are trying to delete a return see this FAQ. How do I delete a tax return that was created in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software? https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-delete-a-tax-return-that-was-created-i...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bobbyerdt

how do I delete a

bobbyerdt

how do I delete a tax return I started

You can try to clear you return but you can not delete your account. How to delete/clear your Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Keep Left

This is how I deleted my unfinished return. (Beware: You probably will lose all the data you entered for that return.) I'm running 2019 Basic, downloaded, Win10.

(1) Exit TurboTax.

(2) Open File Explorer. 

(3) Show hidden files/folders. From top menu: View | Options | Change folder and search options | View | Show hidden files, folders, and drives | Apply | OK.

(4) Delete the folder containing the data. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19.  Delete the entire TY19 folder.

anetcarey

I do not have the option of "my account" in the software to delete a return.  What can I do to delete this return.

@anetcarey wrote:

I do not have the option of "my account" in the software to delete a return.  What can I do to delete this return.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2019 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. Please delete my information on my unfinished tax return

Please let me know when you receive this email.thsnk you in advance for your help

@Anonymous No one has access to your account or your tax return, so no one else can delete anything for you.  If you did not register, file or pay you can clear out the return yourself.

CLEAR AND START OVER

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
colli3nm
Returning Member

I started a tax return with a PDF form from last year and I need to delete the return and start over.

How do I do that?  thank you

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@colli3nm You can clear and start over as long as you have not submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered. Please see How do I clear and start over in TurboTax Online? for instructions. 

ax5a6
Returning Member

Many thanks, it's been a growing problem (1 good return and 3 not good).  Much appreciated.

I've looked everywhere, but there is nothing called "My Account".  I'm using tt Home and Business 2019

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

By default, TurboTax saves tax data and PDF files in the Documents (or My Documents) > TurboTax folder on your PC.

To move the return to your PC's Recycle Bin, browse to Documents > TurboTax, select the file, and tap Delete on your keyboard (you can also right-click the file and choose Delete). There may be a corresponding PDF file which you can also delete.

To permanently remove it from your system, delete the file from your Recycle Bin. @Renbuild1

@Renbuild1  What are you trying to do?  The Desktop program is different than the Online versions.  As you can see there is no My Account.  You don't log into the Desktop program.  Are you trying to download a 2019 tax return from online to open in the Desktop program?  To finish or amend?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies