turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I delete a tax return I started

@richardmoreau461 wrote:

There is no "My Account" at the top of my page.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over.  Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2019 online tax return.  Click on Clear & Start Over.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online. 

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Please click this TurboTax Help link to watch a video that will walk you through the process. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below FAQ for instructions on how to delete your tax return in TurboTax Online:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/can-i-delete-my-tax-return-in-turbotax-online/...

patrickconroy
Returning Member

Turbotax Premier (2019):  My "free" state return attached to a return labeled ~2019 Form 1040...... that was not completed.

I completed my return (labeled Conroy 2019 etc.) and am ready to file.  How can I delete the unlabeled return file, and restore my "free" state return so I can efile my (now complete) tax return?

Thank you.

patrickconroy
Returning Member

Thank you.

I followed the instructions and removed the state return per the instructions.

I then deleted the (unnamed file) ~Form 1040 from my documents.

My returns are ready to file, but the program is still asking for additional payment in order to efile the Massachusetts return.

Can I fix this? 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online. Please see the FAQ below for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

patrickconroy
Returning Member

Thank you, but I'm not using the "on-line" version.

I'm using a CD on my laptop.

LakeshaLO
Intuit Alumni

To delete your tax return on the TurboTax software, please see this TurboTax FAQ, How do I delete a tax return that was created in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?

If you want to delete your state tax return, please see this TurboTax FAQ,How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?

patrickconroy
Returning Member

That's done.   The state return was removed, and then the ~2019 return (that wasn't completed) is deleted.  I suspect the "free" state return is attached to this deleted return.

So, no state (Massachusetts) form has been e-filed.

When I attempt to file my completed return, the program requests payment for the state return.

Since the program includes the first state return for free, I would like to know how to fix this problem.

I would appreciate any assistance.

You misunderstood.  In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited returns in that state.  Then if you need to file in another state you have to buy an additional state program for 39.99.

THEN You can print and mail the state for free or each state (including the first one) is 19.99 to efile.  Goes up to 24.99 March 1.

patrickconroy
Returning Member

Thank you for the explanation.

jehb
Level 1

There is no "My Account" on the menu.  Where is this listed

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

As long as you haven't paid your TurboTax Online fee (or registered a cost-free version), you can clear any data you entered. (Fees paid through Pay With My Refund and pre-paid code also count as "paid.")

Please click Can I delete my tax return in TurboTax Online? to learn more. 

I have two profiles for the same person.  I even tried to delete the saved file with the information for the person, but TurboTax still shows two files for one person.  How can I delete the one file or get rid of both and upload the information again from the 2018 file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies