turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Have not received refund after 60 days it was approved

just to clarify, the IRS processes returns in the order received, regardless of tax year,  and state they have now processed all returns received through Dec, 2021. 

While that means they are just beginning to process 2021 tax year paper filed returns (as obviously, they couldn't be sent in any earlier than January, 2022), that doesn't mean they have completed all 2020 paper filed tax returns.

if someone filed a 2020 tax return by paper during 2022, it is in the backlog; it has not been processed. 

And remember that the IRS is not one single ride at a country fair with one processing line ... they are more like Disneyland with multiple rides with different line wait times.   At each of the IRS processing centers they have different departments that process returns at different rates and within those departments the individual employees will also process their  stack of work at different rates.  So although the IRS tries to process things in the order they arrive it is  just not  that simple.  Due to staffing issues they were even shuffling cases of paperwork between processing centers to even out the work load.  

my wife and I filed our taxes 20 weeks ago on February 12th. turbo tax charged my account but we have still not received our refund. we have attempted to contact the IRS at least 4 times a week for the past 3 months. when we do reach someone they said multiple times we needed to wait 12 more weeks, not they are telling us that we need to wait an additional 16 weeks. then when we called back a week later they told us again that it would be an additional 16 weeks. please help with our return. thank you.

@ rcarson009 wrote:

my wife and I filed our taxes 20 weeks ago on February 12th. turbo tax charged my account but we have still not received our refund. we have attempted to contact the IRS at least 4 times a week for the past 3 months. when we do reach someone they said multiple times we needed to wait 12 more weeks, not they are telling us that we need to wait an additional 16 weeks. then when we called back a week later they told us again that it would be an additional 16 weeks. please help with our return. thank you.

Unfortunately, this is a user community forum, and no one here or at TurboTax can "tweak" the IRS.   But the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service might be able to do so.   They at least may be able to find out some information for you, and in some cases can get the return past a roadblock at the IRS.

You can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.  At the following IRS website, select your state from the dropdown menu, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

@rcarson009 please understand that the IRS is woefully backlogged.  THere is nothing anyone on these baords or Turbo Tax can do to accelerate the IRS's process.  Please read CAREFULLY what the IRS website states that I have pasted below.  

if you paper filed, assume it will be 6-9 months from the time you filed until the return is processed.

Also, as noted in the IRS notice I've pasted below, they have asked that you do not call them. 

Please be patient. 

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Diana89129
Returning Member

I filed my tax return with you last year it was accepted and the IRS has not given me my refund yet I'm afraid to go through you again as I have not been able to get any results on this problem I could really use the $1510 refund that I'm supposed to be getting in February and here it is the beginning of January of next year

@Diana89129 TurboTax receives NO information from the IRS after you file your tax return.   Did you e-file the return or did you file by mail?  

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

OR——if you filed by mail, expect a long wait.   It is taking the very backlogged IRS six to nine months to process mailed returns.   Until a human opens your envelope and enters the data into the system, nothing will even show up on the refund site, so you will have to be very patient.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Diana89129 The IRS has been extremely slow to process tax returns all of last year.  Millions of tax returns still have not been processed for tax year 2021.

Go to this IRS website for the status of filed 2021 returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of December 23, 2022, we had 1.91 million unprocessed individual returns received this year. These include tax year 2021 returns and late filed prior year returns. Of these, 1.49 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 414,000 are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers, but it does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. 

How long you may have to wait: We continue to process tax returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. For returns received in the current year, we process individual tax returns for which refunds are due first. Tax returns reflecting tax owed are processed last, but if a payment is mailed with the tax return, the payment is separated upon receipt and deposited to ensure the taxpayer account is credited for the payment. 

As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify you sent the tax return, we will send you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take more than 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and how quickly we can complete the processing of your return. Taxpayers are encouraged to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed. Whether you filed electronically or by paper, we will contact you by mail if we need more information or if we made a change to your return. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you are due a refund, filed on paper more than six months ago, and Where’s My Refund? does not indicate we received your return, you should resubmit your tax return, electronically if possible.

Make sure it includes an original signature, and include all documents submitted with the original return. Otherwise, please do not file your tax return again.  Check Where’s My Refund?, or view your account for possible updates.

Anyone know how to get threw the new I v r.  Since they updated 2023 I can’t figure out how to reach an agent.  I am 2 weeks shy of one year and waiting.  They said about three weeks Jan 4 but they couldn’t access everything.  

Diana89129
Returning Member

I have not received my 2021 tax return from the IRS through TurboTax what do I do I filed this year and I'm just afraid it's not going to be direct deposited

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax will not know the status of your return. Please check with the IRS.
IRS.GOV

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies