Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Tax return electronic filing rejected - now what?

I submitted my 2020 Federal Tax return electronically and it was rejected.

I have been filing electronically for the past ten years without problem, but this is the first time I have a "refund due" (because COVID-19 stimulus money was not received). This is also the first time I setup direct deposit (as this is the first time I have a refund coming) and my status has changed from married to single.

I resubmitted my Tax return electronically twice now (2/7 and 2/14) (and the 2019 AGI amount shown/entered is correct).

How do I find out what is the problem and what to do to fix this?

My rejection text message from TurboTax says "my name, your federal return was rejected by the IRS. Don't worry, we'll help you fix the problem. Check your email for more information."

I never got an e-mail from TurboTax. It's been 10 days now. I don't know why the return was rejected so I don't know what needs to be fixed.

Lastly, on the IRS "check my refund status" site, when I enter the SS#, amount of refund, and date of filing, nothing comes up (no records, etc.). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since the 2020 Federal tax return was rejected the IRS has received nothing so there would not be a status on the IRS federal tax refund status website.

On your email account check the spam or junk mail folders for the TurboTax email.  If there is no email then you need to verify your email address on your TurboTax account.  See this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-updates/help/how-do-i-update-my-turbotax-account-informati...

The IRS may not have your 2019 AGI in their data base if the 2019 tax return has not been fully processed by the IRS.

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file again.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Since the 2020 Federal tax return was rejected the IRS has received nothing so there would not be a status on the IRS federal tax refund status website.

On your email account check the spam or junk mail folders for the TurboTax email.  If there is no email then you need to verify your email address on your TurboTax account.  See this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-updates/help/how-do-i-update-my-turbotax-account-informati...

The IRS may not have your 2019 AGI in their data base if the 2019 tax return has not been fully processed by the IRS.

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file again.

Thanks for the help. 

I resubmitted with the 2019 AGI = $0. I would have expected the IRS to have processed the 2019 AGI by now (a year later) but maybe this will work.

My e-mail is working as I did receive an email from TurboTax telling me "congratulations" for filing. 

Now I just need to see if the IRS has accepted it.

The "AGI = $0" worked. Return was accepted.

Thanks

RT310
Returning Member

Same just happened to me last night. A week ago i had called IRS cause my 2019 return was not processed yet. Even tho they cashed my check back in March 2020 lol.

@RT310 wrote:

But what happens if the 2019 is finally processed and the AGI does not match the 0 for the 2020 e-file. Could the return be rejected at a later date?

Could the return be rejected at a later date?

No.  Once the IRS has Accepted the tax return the 2019 AGI becomes moot.

Steve R3

My electronic file keeps rejecting and my AGI and pins are correct. Now what? how long are pins good?

Santa3598

1st rejection was due to incorrect AGI

2nd due to incorrect Pin#

3rd tried printing but would only allow me to review

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

ray16

Putting zero in the AGI worked after 2 failed attempts to e-file.  Would NEVER had thought of this!!

kinah001

my refund was rejected now how can i fix it sincenly brenda ward-murray

@kinah001 wrote:

my refund was rejected now how can i fix it sincenly brenda ward-murray

We do not know why the tax return was rejected.

What is the rejection code and/or rejection message on the TurboTax email you received for the rejected tax return?

acbdej
Returning Member

I filed my 2019 tax returns through TurboTax it was rejected so what do I do to fix it

@ acbdej  wrote:

I filed my 2019 tax returns through TurboTax it was rejected so what do I do to fix it

EDITED:

I see you posted a duplicate and started your own new thread.   I moved my original answer that was here to your new thread.    So continue any discussion in that new thread at:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/2019-tax-return-got-rejected/01/2318249#...

pcureton

em fromTurotax

What happened

FW2G-502 - Form W-2G, 'PayerEIN' must match data in the e-File database.

Next step

We'll help you get this updated on your federal return and e-file .

To update your return

Simply sign in to TurboTax and we'll walk you through making the updates you need, then help you e-file your updated return.

If it isn't possible to e-file your updated return, we'll make sure you have everything you need to print and file your tax return by mail.

Need your user ID or password? Get a quick reminder

th

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies