turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I open a 2016 TT Home & Business file with a TT 2016 Deluxe program well enough to reprint my return, including Sch C?

I have a 2016 TT Home & Business file.  That I saved, but I didn't save a pdf of the entire return.

Can I open a 2016 TT Home & Business file with a TT 2016 Deluxe program well enough to reprint my return, including Sch C?

I don't need to file it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Yes, you can open and print the 2016 tax return from the 2016 tax data file completed with the 2016 Home & Business edition with a 2016 Deluxe edition with no issues whatsoever.

All the TurboTax desktop editions have the same forms, schedules and worksheets.

Yes ... all of the downloaded programs can open all the same .taxfiles ... keep that in mind going forward ... you never have to buy more than the Deluxe program (Basic if you don't need a state return). 

Thanks Critter.  That saves me about $60.

Regarding the "don't need to by more than Deluxe:"  Why is that?  The advertising suggests that I need H & B.  Is that just for a little extra guidance, but no significant value?

Yes mainly extra help in the higher versions.  Where did you get the .tax2016 file?    The first thing you may need to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW).

BUT it is too late to update 2016 or download any state programs you used.  They only support the last 3 years.  

So, you're saying it may not open it after all, because it may force an update that is unavalable?

Just try it.  It won't hurt to try.  Do you already have Deluxe installed?  

Note the cleaver marketing ploy to get you to spend more ... it says recommended  NOT required like the online programs ...  ALL the downloaded versions can handle ALL tax forms ... only difference is Basic doesn't include a state program ...  

buy download.jpg

No, I don't have it.  I'm  deciding which one to purchase.

Where can you buy it?  Turbo Tax doesn't sell 2016 anymore.  And like I said you may not be able to update it or download a state program if there's one in your return.   And FYI - Deluxe comes 2 ways, Deluxe with a state program and Deluxe without state.   

OR you could try the TaxPrinter service to convert a .tax file to pdf at

http://www.taxprinter.com

They might be expensive and it is probably not safe to email tax returns back and forth.  They are not related to Turbo Tax.

This is the source to purchase it:  https://oldsoftware.com/turbotax.html

Again ... even if you could purchase the software it will need to be updated and any state program installed if you had a state return in the original return and you cannot get updates or state programs for 2016 or earlier any longer.  

In conclusion:

I was able to purchase the 2016 TT Deluxe from:  https://oldsoftware.com/turbotax.html

I received it quickly, in  a sealed box.  

The program was easily registered...AND UPDATED flawlessly. Surprisingly, it even downloaded and updated the State tax file/forms.

I quickly opened my old 2016 file and saved it as a pdf.  YES?!

Thank you all for the information and encouragement.

SUCCESS!!

You got lucky ... in a couple of weeks the 2016 will definitely be gone and the 2017 program will soon follow it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies