Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsa_01

Can I file the current years tax return if the IRS hasn't processed the previous years return yet?

I had to paper file due to a dependent claim issue.  The IRS has not processed my paper refund yet.  I would like to file this years taxes but am not sure if I can without the previous year being completed by the IRS.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Can I file the current years tax return if the IRS hasn't processed the previous years return yet?

Yes, you can file your 2020 tax return even if previous returns have not yet been processed.

Be sure that you have all of this years tax forms.

If your confident you do, then go ahead and file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Due to the late processing of the 2019 return, your 2019 AGI may not work to e-file the 2020 return. If the return gets rejected for an incorrect AGI then use a single zero for the AGI and resubmit. If neither of these will work you will need to print, ink sign in mailing the 2020 return.

The IRS received my return because they cashed my check, but my 2019 return hasn't been processed. Even though I would like to e-file my 2020 return, I am nervous about putting a 0 for my AGI because this isn't technically correct.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Using the prior year AGI is just for identification purposes.  It does not affect your tax return at all.  Put in the zero and e-file. If it works, you are good to go.  If not, you will need to print, sign and mail in your returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
laronna
Returning Member

Will she need to indicate that she filed for 2019 or indicate that she didn't file??

I went ahead and electronically filed. To make it go through I put my AGI as 0. They had 0 on file because the had not processed my tax return yet. Don't know how it will turn out. They accepted my return but my refund hasn't been processed.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Yes, if your 2019 return has not processed, you need to enter 0 as your AGI for your 2020 tax return to process.  Hard to say why you refund is taking longer.  There are many issues that can delay refunds, including ones over which the IRS has no control. Here are the top three categories:

Administrative requirements

• Earned income tax credit or additional child tax credit -  If you filed in February or earlier and claimed either of these credits, the 2017 PATH Act requires processing to be delayed. The IRS just recently started releasing these refunds
  • Refund Offset - The IRS may have discovered you have delinquent debts, which they're legally required to deduct from your refund. You'll receive a notice about the offset.

Missing, inconsistent, or suspect information

• The IRS found errors, inconsistencies, or missing info on the return. For example, you and a former spouse both claimed the same child as a dependent.
  • The return is under review, which can happen randomly.
  • The IRS suspects identity theft or fraud.

Delivery glitches

• Your refund check could just be delayed in the mail. The reason could be as simple as a new postal carrier learning your route.
  • Electronic payments may be delayed by bank transfer and posting issues.

Keep checking Where's my refund and Get my payment.

IRS has apparently not processed my 2020 return, so they do not have my AGI on file.

When I efiled my 2021 return, I had to enter my 2020 AGI as an identity check. Because IRS has not procesed my return, they don't have my 2020 AGI on file, so IRS rejected my 2021 efile.

I previously received a IRS form CP80 indicating IRS had not received my 2020 return even though they had cashed my check mailed with the return.  I resubmitted a second copy a couple of months ago, but no response from IRS.

What do I do now?

@loganwhite2 Since the IRS has not processed your 2020 federal tax return there will not be a 2020 AGI in the IRS database for your name and SS number.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI and e-file the 2021 tax return again.

I wanted to try putting $0 as my previous year's AGI, but when I went through the TurboTax  efile process, it did not give me a screen to revise my AGI.

How do I get to that screen?

@loganwhite2 wrote:

I wanted to try putting $0 as my previous year's AGI, but when I went through the TurboTax  efile process, it did not give me a screen to revise my AGI.

How do I get to that screen?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for changing the 2020 AGI when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

This year they have an option in the FILE tab to choose "the 2020 return has not processed yet" and choosing that will automatically enter a zero for you.  

My re-submittal was rejected.

When I re-started the efile process, I clicked on the Help Me Fix it and was taken to the screen to enter an AGI.  There is not option for "the 2020 return has not processed yet."

Apparently that update has not been distributed yet.

I will enter $0 for the AGI and resubmit

My re-submittal with a 0 as AGI was also rejected.

What now?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies