Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend 2020 Return -- TurboTax CD Premier not working?

Filed 1040SR using TurboTax Premier CD and the return was accepted and refund received. Just received a 'revised' 1099-DIV so need to amend the return. I waited until after 03/25/21 for when the 1040x stuff is supposed to be available and followed the instructions [ here https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439#sh-details_without... ]; but the TurboTax application seems to be broken. 

When I select "Amend a Filed Return" I am never given the option to open an existing return; it just starts a new return. Is this unique to the Mac release, since the TurboTax Online webpage makes it sound like it is supposed to work. My software is up to date.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You only need to file the amendment if the ''revised'' 1099-DIV changes something that affects your original (already accepted) return.   Amounts or numbers will need to be amended, but things like addresses do not require amending.    Verify that you do need to amend before amending.   The amending software was scheduled to be ready for 03/25, but it was pushed back a day last week, but it should be working for all versions as of today.  

The link should work for MAC as well as windows if you are using the instructions for TurboTax CD/Download.   Here are the instructions.   

1. Make sure you’ve mailed your original return and that you’ve either received your refund or the IRS has taken payment out of your account. (The IRS will only accept a 1040X, or amended return if your original 1040 was accepted.)
  2. Open TurboTax.
  3. Select Amend a filed return.
  4. Select the return you want to amend, and follow the instructions to make your changes.
  5. Now, make an "amend" copy of your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
  6. Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2020 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return.
  7. You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending.  Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.
  8. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  9. On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return, and then select I need to amend my 2020 return.
  10. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend.

Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jch13

3/31: Amend a return is not working. TurboTax was just updated and when trying to amend a return (e-filed online and refund already received) it is not finding the old return. Instead, it is asking me to re-enter all my data. Does this have something to do with e-filing or is this feature not yet functional for 2020 returns?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please visit the TurboTax Help article below for steps to amend your return. If these steps do not work, please click here to help get you connected to the right person for assistance.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you alre...

Step 4 never appears for me.  It's as if I'm starting a new return! I'm using a Mac and TurboTax Deluxe 4.3.5 (build date 4/11/21).

(I'm certain I have to amend; I received my refund from my original return, but just found out I overlooked a 1099 that would have increased my taxes (and reduced my refund, had I noticed it in time)).

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. The below Help Articles provides instructions:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@brogankator

Y2K4JC
Returning Member

I need to enter other income that I overlooked.  My return had been accepted and refund received.  Following all the steps they just keep repeating above and it still does not give the prompt to open the file I need to amend in the CD version on my MAC.  All is updated.  This really stinks as I would like to be done with these. Would really hope TurboTax would fix this soon!!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

See this link on how to amend your return.   

• You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail. 

• Allow 16 weeks for processing. 

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending. 

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up. 

Y2K4JC
Returning Member

I have followed the steps on the link you provided several times and step 4 never appears whereby giving you the ability to open the tax return you want to amend...

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@Y2K4JC  You should be able to browse for the file you want to open. Once open, if it is not understanding you want to amend, you can go to FORMS mode and select to open the 1040x. Start filling in your name to let the program know you want to amend. Then switch to step by step.

chanlee68

I have the exactly the same problem as all previous users. 

Turbotax 2020 1040x (amendment) does not work under Mac.

I have exactly the same problem as all previous users.

The answers I read from Turbotax doesn't solve any problem.

The question is, does it work on PC Window 10 version of Turbotax ?

You actually need to search for 1040-X, not 1040x. Computers are so darn literal!

As with other people, "step 4 never showed up" after I selected amend a filed return. I opened my original return, clicked on forms and searched on 1040-X. That showed up, and I was able to continue, remembering to save a new copy.

I've tried to follow your instructions and still am not getting too far along.  I open TurboTax (empty file), choose amend a filed return, but never get an opportunity to open my original return as a starting point.  I am able to find form 1040-x but again it is blank and looking for the original information but I can't figure out how to load in the original return.  I am working on a Mac.  Any suggestions?

My 1065 K-1 information  was incorrectly entered for my 2019 taxes and I want to Amend the return which was filed last year. I haven't been able to locate that option on my Premier Cd

369lisa
Returning Member

I use Mac desktop version. Not able to amend my 2020 return. The Original Values are all zero - nothing is pulling in from my filed return. please assist

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies