Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My computer's hard drive crashed. I lost my tax return documents. Is there any way I can get the tax info back so I can use it for next year's tax filing?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

My computer's hard drive crashed. I lost my tax return documents. Is there any way I can get the tax info back so I can use it for next year's tax filing?

If you used desktop software downloaded/installed from a CD to your own computer, then the tax files are stored locally on your own hard drive or any backup device you used like a flash drive.  They are not stored online.  If you cannot recover them due to a hard drive failure, etc. you can get a free transcript from the IRS or for a fee of $50, an actual copy of the return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Contact your state for copies of previous state returns.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Before the lost data is overwritten, you can use the data recovery tool to scan the crashed hard drive to recover the tax return documents. Of course, there are also some specialized data recovery companies that do data recovery for crashed hard drives. However, the price may be more expensive.

what do you loose if Turbotax failed load the info frm the 2018 year's return, but I do have the transcript.  Hard drive crashed, and I had no way to recover the data since i rebuild the OS and rewrite with other information.  Didn't realize that my tax 2018 files were on it since I thought i have it on my USB drive.

Long story short, what does TurboTax need from Previous year's return to complete the return for 2019? Does PDF from IRS or Transcript would do me any good?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you made need your AGI. Your information from your transcript will suffice for filing your 2019 return. It will include any information you may need.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thanks for your prompt response.  

gkclements
Returning Member

I neeed to restore my 2020 Turbotax deluxe program which was lostb when my computer crashed

gkclements
Returning Member

All that I need is a copy of the tax program that I have lost.

gkclements
Returning Member

I know that in the past it was very easy to get a recovery program. Is this no longer available?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

There is not exactly a recovery program.

To get the 2020 tax return, if the tax return has been filed, then get the transcripts from the IRS here: Get Transcript | Internal Revenue Service.

To check what has been e-filed,

Otherwise, download 2020 TurboTax again, re-enter your details and submit the return from your new computer.

For more information, see:

How do I install the TurboTax software for Windows?

Download TurboTax State (Windows)

If the crashed hard drive is accessible at all, see: 

Reinstall TurboTax for Windows

How do I move my tax data file to another computer?

Just in case troubleshooting is needed:

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows downloading issues

@gkclements

edca4023
Returning Member

Similar Problem.

Lost my hard drive.  Ido have PDF's of all prior years returns BUT I am trying to re-install 2021 Turbo Tax Home & Business from my CD and it won't allow me to install.   I enter the 16 position License code and it says, "This code is already in use."   How can I re-install 2021 TT?

There is a problem if you first installed from the CD. It doesn't connect you to an account you can find. You have to call in and ask for the download and a new License Code. Hopefully you get a customer service person who knows about it.

Another user posted this. If you have a computer with a CD drive or know someone, you can try copying the CD to a USB flash drive and use that to install the program.

How to contact Turbo Tax
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies