Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will the option to pay out of refund be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Most federal and state forms are not yet finalized due to new tax laws. So the option to pay is not available until all forms in your return are finalized. In order to use this payment option, you will need to return to TurboTax once all of your federal forms have been finalized. I’ve provided links to both IRS and State form availability tables below.

You should also be able to click on Review to the left, and it will show you a list of forms in your return that aren’t available yet. It should also show date they should become available. 

Keep in mind, the IRS will not start accepting e-filed & returns until January 29, 2018.

At that time, you can use the steps below to help you with steps to pay with the refund. 

Can I pay with my refund?

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Most federal and state forms are not yet finalized due to new tax laws. So the option to pay is not available until all forms in your return are finalized. In order to use this payment option, you will need to return to TurboTax once all of your federal forms have been finalized. I’ve provided links to both IRS and State form availability tables below.

You should also be able to click on Review to the left, and it will show you a list of forms in your return that aren’t available yet. It should also show date they should become available. 

Keep in mind, the IRS will not start accepting e-filed & returns until January 29, 2018.

At that time, you can use the steps below to help you with steps to pay with the refund. 

Can I pay with my refund?

The optional Refund Processing Service for paying the TurboTax account fees with the federal tax refund and the RPS fee of $39.99 will not be available until all the forms and schedules included in your tax return are finalized for filing.

The forms and schedules included with your tax return have not yet been finalized so that you can file your tax return.  Click on Review and there will be a list of forms and schedules with the dates they will be available.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for IRS forms availability - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-perso...

The IRS will not be accepting any type of 2017 tax return until January 29, 2018

The IRS will hold all 2017 tax returns that have a tax refund which includes EIC and/or the Additional Child Tax Credit util mid-February.  They will release the tax refunds in late February if there are no errors on the tax return.

Jador
Returning Member

Hi, I can't seem to have the option to pay with my refund, when I start the first step to eFile, it takes me right to the pay with credit card form. What can I do to pay with my refund? Thanks

@Jador wrote:

Hi, I can't seem to have the option to pay with my refund, when I start the first step to eFile, it takes me right to the pay with credit card form. What can I do to pay with my refund? Thanks

See this TurboTax support FAQ for when the pay with refund option would not be offered - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/deduct-turbotax-f...

Is your Federal refund big enough to cover the fees plus the EXTRA 40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California)?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-can-t-i-deduct-my-turbotax-fees-from-my-...

How to review your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

Jador
Returning Member

You're filing a paper return. > I'm trying to EFile

You don't have a federal refund > I do

Your federal refund isn't enough to cover the fees > It is

You're filing with a foreign address > It's an Illinois address

Form 8888 is in your return > It's not

You already used the service when you initially e-filed your federal return > It's my first time

You already filed your federal return and are now only filing your state return > I'm filing federal

Jador
Returning Member

I did verify that, and it is actually more than enough.. any other thoughts? 

Any of the refund that is from line 28 or 30 will not be considered for the refund processing service ... so is your federal refund more than those 2 credits combined  ?  

@Jador - update: we have confirmed that the Pay with Refund option will not be available for the rest of this tax year.....

The refund processing option has been discontinued for the rest of 2022 for unknown reasons.

So your options are :

1) If your AGI is $73K or less you can start again using one of the totally free programs at the IRS FREE FILE site here :  

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

2) stay with TT  and pay the fees upfront with your credit/debit card.  If you don't have one maybe a family member or friend will help you out.  Or for $5 you can buy a pre paid debit card at almost any major store, put just  enough on the card needed to pay the TT fees and register the card online using a US based address.  Then you can use the debit card to get the refunds direct deposited to that account ... check with the debit card bank for the correct routing & bank account numbers  for your debit card account ... it will NOT be the number on the card.

3) find another way to file ... the IRS has fill in the blank forms that you can mail in (check with your state for their forms).    https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions

Pam91
Returning Member

They told me on the phone yesterday that is was a technical problem and they were working on it to fix this option

@Pam91 - i personally talked to a call center supervisor earlier this week and was told that is will not be available until January (next tax season).  She admitted there was a lot of confusion within the call center but was adamant that the service - for very specific reasons which made sense which I will not post - was unavailable until January. I implored her to get TT to post this information on their website as it was creating a lot of confusion amoung customers and employees.  I haven't seen anything yet. 

it may be a 'technical problem', but assume it won't be fixed until January. It's been unavailable for a week now.  if it was really a software glitch, don't you think they could have figure it out in a week???????

You can either follow the options listed by others above or get frustrated as the days go by and the option does not re-appear.  Remember after mid-October, Turbo Tax will shut off the ability to submit 2021 tax returns online as it prepares for 2022.  Then you will be even more frustrated that you spent the time preparing your tax return for naught and will have to start over using the CD /download version or another firm's software.  it is up to you.

By the way that service is VERY expensive.  You are being charged $40 for the convenience of having the fees netted from a refund.  If your fees are $100 and you put that on a credit card and pay it back in a month from your refund, that only cost $2.00 (24% annualized interest but 2% for the one month).  SPTPG makes HUGE profits off of this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies