turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS cashed the payment check but no tax return was received?

Not true. The IRS cashed my money order and it says printed on my return status. I looked it up and that means that they haven't received my mail in tax filing, even though the money order was inside.

Where does it say Printed?  At the IRS or Turbo Tax?  Turbo Tax will always say printed or Ready to Mail.  They don't know when or if you actually mailed it.  The IRS doesn't update Turbo Tax when they get a mailed return.  

IRS wants another copy of my amended return but I cant find it.

Their letter said they can’t find the return but they got the check and cannot process the payment till I send in another Form 1040X.

@Jharpe5689 wrote:

IRS wants another copy of my amended return but I cant find it.

Their letter said they can’t find the return but they got the check and cannot process the payment till I send in another Form 1040X.

To access your current year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

Same thing happened to me.  I mailed my 2019 tax return by certified mail on 7/13/2020 along with my check for $2,955.00.  The IRS cashed my check and the USPS tracking shows the IRS received my return on 7/21/2020. I just today discovered this while trying to E-file my 2020 tax return (I had to file an extension for 2020 so that's why I am late in filing). My 2020 Federal E-Filing was rejected due to not being able to match the 2019 AGI amount.  I changed the AGI to zero and then the E-filing was accepted. Now I guess I have to mail my 2019 tax return again. I wonder if the IRS will be able to match the return with the check I previously sent? I hope my funds didn't go into some lost & found account rather than my account. 

No.  The IRS just took long last year to process 2019 returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time especially for mailed returns.   Most people had to enter zero AGI to efile 2020.   Nothing is wrong, don't worry about  it.

You can go to the IRS and check.  You can request a transcript from the IRS to make sure you filed

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

gregw66

I received a similar notice about my 2019 tax return just one month ago. I submitted electronivcally through Tubo Tax, but the IRS claims they never received it. There's no means of contacting them. I've tried via phone. They won't answer. I've tried online but my account will lockout for 24 hours if I attempt to use it.

They want me to resend my 2019 return or lose a potential $9,900 in credit.

@gregw66 

Just do  as they request  ASAP ... for what ever reason your return was lost in the mix so comply as directed... it happens sometimes for unknown reasons.   The fact that the IRS is working with antiquated equipment may be the issue along with being understaffed. 

gregw66

Point taken. Agreed. Thanks.

jrgrant7

irs cashed my check in april 2020. lost my 2020 return. I mailed the return in 4/2020. i received a letter 12/21 that the irs needed a copy of my 2020 return. I sent it 12/31/21 by certified mail to kansas city MO. they received and signed for the return 1/5/22. i completed my 2021 federal tax return 2/13/22. I always use turbotax to prepare my taxes. i tried to submit my 2021 return electronically. it was rejected because my 2020 has not been processed. i have called the irs number [phone number removed] and can't get through. please advise. thank you

Ok ... in the FILE tab this year there was an option for 2020 returns that have not been processed yet ... so either choose that option in the FILE tab so the program enters a zero for the AGI  or you can enter the zero yourself then resubmit the return.  

I'm in the same situation.  I had to resubmit my 2020 1040 back in mid-2021 because I accidentally sent an unsigned copy in April 2021.  The IRS cashed my check back in April '21 but returned the unsigned 1040 to me in mid-2021.  When I received that, I signed it and resubmitted via snail mail.   Since they had already cashed my check, I didn't realize anything was amiss until I received a notice in December of 2021 saying that they never received my 1040.  I assumed this was an error due to the backlog but again, I printed and signed a copy of my 1040 and re-submitted my return via snail mail.  I have not done my 2021 taxes yet since I'm not able to verify if they ever received my previous 1040 form.   I'm glad they got my payment but darn it, I would like to know if they received either or both of my document submissions.  How can I verify that?

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

You would need to contact the IRS for further assistance regarding this matter as they are the only ones that can look into your account. Their phone number is 800-829-1040. When calling, be sure to have the following:

• Your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
  • Your filing status (Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint, or Married Filing Separate)
  • Your prior-year tax return (they may ask you questions from it to verify your identity)
  • A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
  • Any letters they may have sent you
  • Paper and pen to take notes—make sure to write down the day you called and the name and ID number of the agent you spoke to, as well as any instructions or deadlines you were given.

Please note: You may experience a delay, long hold times, or a busy signal when trying to contact them as the IRS lines are extremely busy at this time of year.

@HatcherTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

SO last year I tried to efile taxes for myself and my 10 year old son through Turbotax. It was rejected due to his SSN already being used (via fraud), so I had no option but to mail them. Sent them certified mail with payment. It was signed for on 3/31/21 and the check was cashed. I went about my business paying estimated taxes etc and then in December 2021 received a letter stating they never received my 1040. So I called them and actually spoke to someone. She said they had no record of it and there was nothing they could do about the fact someone signed for it, and that I needed to mail it again, with proof of it being mailed previously. I asked how I could verify they received it THIS time and she said "call back 1-2 weeks after sending". Well, this was during the holidays so I waited until January to call. BIG MISTAKE. I called several days in a row, different times a day for weeks and always ended at a message saying "we cannot take your call". I work in Accounting and have colleagues who are professional tax pros who have a separate line to call, and they have informed me that they get the same message. So there is basically NOTHING we can do but wait. I had to explain all of this to my bank while trying to get a HELOC and they just used an older return instead. In addition, I don't know how I am going to e-file this year because I need an IP PIN for my son, which I applied for with my mailed in return and never received. I am able to get a pin online for myself, but not for him. So the only other option is to take him to a local tax office to prove identity and wait 3 weeks for them to mail the PIN OR mail in the return again. All of this hassle for ME, because of a criminal using his SSN last year. This is beyond infuriating.

g911
Level 2

The same thing happened to me, they said they have my money that I sent with my return, but they do not have the return. So now they are treating my 3100 dollars as a donation and want me to file my taxes again and pay them again. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies