Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS cashed the payment check but no tax return was received?

There is a large backlog of paper tax returns.

IRS says they expect to clear the backlog by December of 2022.

Do not file another tax return.

oiynge57

This is zero percent helpful for the question that was asked. Did you not read it? It's okay to not respond to questions you don't know the answer to. You don't have to give some other tangentially related information that only confuses the matter further. It's okay.

gregw66

(Nods head in agreement while reading your response)

yes,   If you are filing  electronic   this year and  last year you did  paper , Use $0.00   for your AGI,   The IRS is slow in  data  entry  for 2020. 

I was able to  look in my IRS  account .  You need to go to ID  . com .   Once you create an account   you will see all the information that the IRS   has on you .   They have record  of receiving my income tax check, They also have your tax return on file for the   past 3-4   years 

g911
Level 2

Thanks.

I was able to create an account at the IRS, but after signing in and clicking on my account it just get an error message. 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You can quickly check the status of your mailed tax return on the IRS Where's My Refund page.

Make sure you enter your exact federal refund dollar amount. You can get this number from your Form 1040, line 35. If you filed joint, be sure to enter the social security number that is listed first on the return.

If still no luck, it is possible the site is being updated and currently not available. The IRS updates the site everyday, usually overnight. I would continue to check back.

@g911

g911
Level 2

I have been getting error codes for over a month. The account was created on the first try, and I can sign in anytime. But when I try to go to my records, I get an error code. 

hwy247
Returning Member

I've had the same exact occurrence. I recently swapped out computers and lost my turbo tax return in the process. I got my transcripts from IRS to assist me with this years returns as I have some rental depreciation issues, and the transcripts said I didn't file. This is as of April 2022, but I've got the check I sent them to cover the amount due cashed in August 2021. Thanks for showing me I'm not the only one. 

Not surprising that a 2020 balance due return has not been processed yet ... the IRS has been short staffed for a long long time and returns with refunds get priority processing.  

hwy247
Returning Member

Thank You----That makes me feel a little relieved. 

g911
Level 2

There are millions of us in the same boat. There are several news articles about how far behind the IRS is. My concern is that they will never admit it, and then want to fine me for their mistake. They have already threatened to take my payment check and make it a donation to the IRS. 

The IRS commissioner has admitted it, in recent testimony to Congress.

There is no coverup.

Congress refuses to to give IRS the resources it needs,

For example, one Congressman said,

"Well, we gave you $500 million to upgrade your computers before. You spent the money but failed ( a waste).

Why should we give you the $2 Billion it will cost now to try again?"

By the way, the FBI also tried to upgrade their computers, they spent a lot of money then gave up.

g911
Level 2

The way I see it: The IRS wants more money, so to convince congress to give them more money they are willing to punish the public, hoping that we will squeal. 

Thanks for the information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies