turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS cashed the payment check but no tax return was received?

We mailed the 2019 tax return (the form 1040 and a check $270) to the IRS office on 3/3/2020. IRS cashed the check on 3/5/2020. However, when we logged in the account today, it said no return was filed for 2019, but it did mention the payment of $270 was received. 

What can we do to correct this? If we need to file the 2019 tax again, is it considered a late filing with a penalty? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

208 Replies

Where are you checking for the filed tax return?

The IRS website for checking the status of a federal tax refund is Only for refunds - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

The IRS website for a federal tax transcript will only be available if the IRS has processed your tax return - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Due to the pandemic and the limited staffing at the IRS millions of tax returns have yet to be processed.  Your check being cashed for the taxes owed indicates the IRS received your tax return so there will be no late payment penalty.

If you owed tax then it will never be on the IRS refund site.  That is only for refunds.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Sorry, I didn't mention clearly.

We were checking the Transcript account.  When we clicked the 2019 record, it showed a letter and mentioned that no tax return was filed. But from the Wage and Income Transcript, it did mention of the $270. 

The IRS is very slow this year to process mailed returns because they did not open mail at all for about 14 weeks due to the COVID-19 shutdown.    They are way backlogged so it might take a while to process.   The fact that they cashed your attached check proves that they received and opened it.  The IRS mail room separates (and deposits) checks and then forwards the return to data entry clerks to enter into the processing system.

I would not worry about if for a month or two.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

We made a phone call this morning, and the representative told us to wait till end of Sept to check the transcript again. 

Since we need the transcript for another legal process, he said they could do something as a proof of filing after Sept. 

I am also in the same situation as the person whos question you answered.  On my IRS account page I get this notice, see below.  We filed on July 10 and our check was cashed, is it your understanding that they are still behind in processing these returns.  It has now been four full months since we mailed in our return, my fear is an audit is coming my way.  Thank you

Your 2019 Tax Return Is Not Processed

When you mail in a return with a payment the check goes to one department and gets posted and the return to another. 

As already mentioned ... due to the reduced staffing in the wake of the covid shut down certain things needed to be prioritized so stimulus checks and returns with refunds had priority.   Returns that have balance dues were put on the back burner ... so once they are processed thru the system the transcript will be updated and there is nothing you can do to speed up the process.  

And if you filed a true and accurate return then you don't need to fear getting audited as you have nothing to hide since you filed a correct return. 

I am assuming I filed it correctly, Turbo Tax indicated it was good to go.  So I will just assume its not posted on my account because of the back logs.  Thank you for your reply. 

Ditto here: I filed April 5 or so and they cashed a $5000.00 check but there is no record of either acknowledgment of return or the proceeds sent. Paper return, T-tax would not let me file electronically for some strange reason. Overall we paid nearly 13,000 in taxes. I would like to have some receipt of that. Not too long ago it could have been my yearly earnings. 

By not too long ago, you probably mean fifty years ago. Back then that was a lot of money.

Anonymous
Not applicable

register at the IRS website and get a transcript either online or by mail. for online you'll need a printer.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

or view your account

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account 

@krum4321 

Your receipt of payment to the IRS are  the tax reporting forms that are issued like a W-2 or the  cashed checks or bank/CC statements or the read out from paying the IRS online.  A processed tax return is not a receipt of any kind of payment. 

Balance due returns have been put to the bottom of the pile and will be processed eventually. 

I'm following this because we are still waiting for our 2019 return to be processed and transcript posted, here almost at the end of January 2021!  After several calls to the IRS they keep telling us the same thing .. "we were shut down for several months ... short on staff ... paper returns that came with a payment will be processed last"

dead last evidently.  We need our transcript for an investment property loan.  Now IRS won't be accepting e file returns for 2020 until Feb. 12th and I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back again.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies