efgraham

After upgrading my turbo tax software I lost all of the data previously entered. How do I correct this?

CarolynLO

You can find your data on your computer. You will want to find your tax data file.  This article attached will explain to you how to go about finding your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900721-find-your-data-file-on-your-computer-in-windows

If you are using a Mac computer, please follow these instructions:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

CarolynLO

kashou

No, the steps described for mac do not work. Turbotax 2021 lost all data after software update. Turbotax did not save the file before starting the update. Turbotax replaced the previously open/started file with a blank unsaved file. This is infuriating. Hours of work lost. Please fix this asap! 

AkinaLO

Please contact TurboTax support for assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

kashou

Support said data could not be recovered. Weeks of work lost!! I see that many other customers have experienced this bug for the past years. How can you not fix the bug now?? Why should people pay over $100 for a software that does not save a copy before updating, what kind of software company neglects that part, hello?!

#madcustomer

ChondelLO

Please contact TurboTax support and explain what happened as they can assist you with your account. For contact information please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

kashou

2021, I called Support who said that once data is lost it cannot be recovered. Support advised me on saving the file prior to updating, however Turbotax does not give that option. In fact, I started a new file and worked on it yesterday. Now, Turbotax prompts me to update the software, and does not give me option to decline or save the file. Turbotax won't let me work on my file or save it, unless I update the software. I worry that I will lose all my data again if I update without saving the file. What should I do??

Can't Turbotax save the file automatically? I lost all my data, that should never happen if Turbotax was automatically saving.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.10.08 AM.png

AkinaLO

It looks like you need a software update. Please the instructions below to manually update your software.

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Bas...

CD/Download

How do I update my TurboTax CD/Download software p...

Jayant Mahajan

I had same issue today.  Lost tax information after TurboTax updates.  Called Turbotax they are of no help.  They are asking to contact computer manufacturer for my PC when their update cleared all my data. And files for tax return

any help is appreciated

Tmatt1

I lost all my tax info after upgrade. I have the download home and business version.  Support said they did not have access to delete.  I told them their software does. Months of work gone.