, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
This article explains how to find a tax return file created in TurboTax CD/Download software for Mac.
TurboTax support agents are unable to retrieve tax returns that were prepared in TurboTax CD/download software because your data is stored locally, on your computer's hard drive. E-filing does not create archive copies on our servers.
Follow the steps below to find your .tax file on your Mac OS 10.4.x (or later) computer.
How to Find Your .Tax File
- In the upper-right corner of your screen, click the Spotlight (magnifying glass) icon, and then type .tax in search field. Search results appear as you type.
- Tax return files will appear in the Documents section. The default name for tax files is the primary taxpayer's name followed by the 2-digit tax year.
- If you don't see your tax return, click Show All in Finder at the top of the Spotlight search list.
- In the new window, go to List view, by clicking the button at the top that looks like 4 horizontal lines in a stack. Then, in the Kind column, look for TurboTax...Tax Return
If You Cannot Find a Return You Already Filed
If you're unable to find a previously-filed return (due to a computer upgrade, for example), there are two ways you can request a copy from the IRS:
- Request a free transcript. A transcript is used to verify income and some financial institutions accept it as a substitute for your original tax return. Click here for instructions or see IRS Tax Tip 2011-13 for more details.
- Order an exact copy of your tax return, including all attachments, from the IRS for $50.00. See IRS Tax Topic 156 for complete instructions.
- How do I move my tax return to another computer?
- Get a PDF Copy of Your 2012 or Earlier TurboTax Online Return