Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is TurboTax so slow to launch?

I'm a programmer myself. There is no good reason why TT should be this slow!

Fire all the current "programmers" at TT.

STOP using TurboTax people!

It SUCKS!

It should just ask the user for a bunch of tax-related numbers and run them through a "calculator", a set of routines. Why should that take so long??????

I launch the NetBeans IDE 8.1 implemented in JAVA on my powerful PC. It takes 30 seconds to come up, with only a few tiny projects that I play around with.

kreyg

As this doesn't appear to have an adequate answer...

It appears that TurboTax is scanning the entire Documents folder while starting up.  Depending on the number of files you have here, this could take a very long time.

The TT program is a bit of a memory hog so closing other running programs usually helps and making sure the OS is up to date and run a defrag.   Also the more information you enter into the return can also slow things up especially if you have hundreds of stock sales  ... enter them last if you can.  

Wow 79 seconds, try 46 minutes and counting. 

Dear Intuit, this is a consistent problem with TurboTax in previous years. I could not recommend Turbotax to Anyone at this point.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try to log out and log back in.  Also, please use the Online tab to check if there are any updates.  

If issues persist, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@TurbTxLoadsTooSlow

[edited 1/23/23; 11:29 AM CST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have installed desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe 2022.  After launch, there is a screen with a a spinning starburst the expands/contracts labelled.  “TurboTax 2022 - Activation”.  It sits there for at least 30 minutes, and NEVER GETS ANY FARTHER.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Help Article which will assist you in troubleshooting this blank screen during the activation process. 

@PowerHouseSLO

[edited 1/28/23 3:15 PM CST]

That's not it. I am using my desktop. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

There are a few issues stated within this thread. Can you please post specific details about the issue you're experiencing so that we can better assist you?

@carraed 

My time is worth something.   So far one hour to get Turbo tax to "load"  I thought I had already installed it.  It should take seconds not hours.   Now after it loaded it its been "updating"  for 20 minutes and is 3% complete.    When I work on my taxes do I need to fight for access to overloaded "servers?"  If so Why?

I need answers or after some 20 years of Turbo tax I will go elsewhere next year, 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Refer to the TurboTax Help articles Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows downloading issues and Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows to see if there are any helpful actions you haven’t tried yet. 

ok

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies