Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does Turbotax refuse to offer a real person for customer support?

I've been a paying customer of Turbotax for years now, and have never needed a live agent. But for the past week, I have had a difficulty with the software that I need a live agent to address. The answer to the question isn't available anywhere online. Unfortunately, it has been absolutely impossible to connect with a live agent about the software in any medium. Turbotax doesn't offer email. Turbotax offers a "tax expert" if you pay a huge fee. But I don't need a tax expert, and shouldn't have to pay for simple customer support in any case. Turbotax has a phone number. But I have called numerous times. Every time, the automated system demands a "more specific" answer. I've tried numerous different responses to attempt to communicate my question. Every single time, the automated system says they'll email me a password reset, despite the fact that I never asked for it, and then ends the call. Why does Turbotax refuse to offer a real person for customer support?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

That's strange. I just got off the phone with TurboTax support, and they were able to solve my issue. The number I called was 800.446.8848. It took a while to get through the voice-response system (try asking right away to speak to a representative), but then an agent picked up almost immediately, and she was very helpful.

Good luck!

What is your exact issue ... maybe we can give you an answer here. 

The exact issue is well-articulated above. Turbotax refuses to offer a real person for customer support. That's the issue.

To Tomg11: This response seems totally genuine and I believe it 100%.  

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Hi Critter-3. I have done this already numerous times. The result is always the same. I ask for an "agent" or "representative". The automated system tells me that before it can connect me, it needs further specification. I genuinely try to do that. I've used simple language. The system either responds that it doesn't understand, and asks again, or it offers a password reset and disconnects me. Either way, I never wind up getting in touch with an actual human person. 

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or if you describe the problem you are having with a tax return or the TurboTax program someone here on the forum should be able to help you.

We may be able to  help on this forum if you just ask the question.

Hi Critter-3. As I previously stated, the issue is well-articulated above. Turbotax refuses to offer a real person for customer support. That's the issue. 

Why don't you want to post what actual problem with the program you are having?  We've seen about everything here.  It might be a known issue or you found a bug we can pass on.  It might be simpler than you think.  Are you using the Online version or the Desktop installed program?  Please give us a try.  It's usually quicker getting answers here than waiting for support to call back.  

sisshar
Returning Member

I needed an extension and was working on it.  Now I see nothing about my extension and I have to start over,

It is now too late to file an extension thru the TT system and only those out of the country or active military stationed overseas can apply for an extension by mail at this late date.  

All you can do now is simply file the return.  If you have a refund coming  the extension is totally unneeded. 

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account recovery

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

I did not need to talk to a customer service representative for the past two years but when I was working on my 2020 return I did call customer service and did speak with a real person.   I am not aware that this has changed but depending on when you called, i.e. how close to April 18th could have affected the number of available customer service representatives and it could have extended the wait time.

Larry

As one of those people who works for Intuit solving customer problems, I can assure you that there are lots of people waiting for your calls who can help resolve your issues. Whether it is a small issue or a complex issue, we will stay on the phone for as long as it takes to get you a solution.  The experts are highly trained and work very hard to get you the accurate answers in a timely manner.  During tax season, we often work 12-16 hours a day.  Many of us are CPA's, or EA's and we have decades of experience.  All we ask is a nominal upcharge for access to the expert support. Once you agree to that upcharge, you will have free access to our experts for the entire tax year.  You are likely not getting put through to an expert because you are not agreeing to be upgraded to the Live service.  You are not even charged for it before you are connected to us.  You only pay if you do eventually file your return.  I hope this helps you find the value in the services provided by the hard working crew of professional who await your and other's calls each tax season. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies