turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MEL MANDICH
Returning Member

What are the differences between Turbotax Online and TurboTax Desktop?

WARNING:  Turbotax desktop does not allow seamless integration with Turbotax.com.  I have always used .com version, tried desktop for the first time this year.  The desktop version is riddled with non-intuitive errors that should not be occurring.  Saving tax files produces error codes, that can only be resolved by visiting online forums to resolve.  Importing historical data from TT.com is a non starter (something to do with the way TT.com saves the file--really?).  e-filing this year was a nightmare.  I followed all the steps, efiled (paid $25 for the state efiling), only to have my forms rejected.  After the first 2 attempts, I contacted TT CS and was advised that the IRS was rejecting "alot of TT desktop tax forms" due to AGI discrepancy.  My AGI info was lifted directly from my 2019 TT.com forms, so where was the discrepancy, I asked?  I was advised to resubmitt forms.  I did, 3x more, then called TTCS again; was told that the IRS only allows one submission.  If that first submission is rejected, it auto-rejects any follow up attempts.  NIGHTMARE.  And, after speaking with a TTCS rep for over 40 mins, I was placed on mute, and disconnected.  I had asked for a refund on the $25 fee. 

After printing out files, I closely examined some documents; I discovered that some forms were printed with 2019 in/of 2020.  Wow.  Really.  Last year was a disaster for everyone; do not purchase this desktop version.  It will further extend that feeling of helplessness. 

I think you got some bad information.  The Desktop program should be a lot easier to use.  Were you able to transfer from you 2019 Online return?  We could have told you how.

Then it sounds like you need to update the program.  The Desktop program needs to be updated frequently.  Updates usually come out each Thursday.  If your program is not automatically updating each time to launch it (or are you leaving it open?) you need to go up to Online-Check for Updates.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  

And be sure to save your tax return frequently too.  Go to File-Save.  It saves it as a data file ending in .tax2020 usually in your Documents.  Then when you are done also save it as a PDF file.

Then for your AGI reject.  When did you file 2019? If it was late in the year or you mailed it, try putting in 0 (zero) for the AGI. And see, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

MEL MANDICH
Returning Member

Actually, I did all of the steps that you suggest below.

I started by first updating the software, then did the file save step as I proceeded with entry.

AGI: I filed early April '20, and entered the correct info.

So, I did my research, but still had error messages and issues with sending files.

If I got bad info, then folks who are less adept at this software should avoid using the desktop version AT ALL COSTS.

Not worth the hassle; will use TT online next year to avoid this mess.

VolvoGirl, can you explain how to import a 2019 online return into the 2020 CD/download version? I've always used the online version (mainly because I didn't know there was a difference), but would like to try the download version this year. 

If you used the online version last year and need to transfer your info to this year's Desktop version there are 2 ways depending on what you have.

1. If you saved the actual .tax2019 file (not just the pdf file) to your computer before online was shut down in Oct. then start a new return and the very first thing you do is Transfer from .tax file. You can only transfer at the very beginning.  You should be able to download the .tax2019 file from online, like if you were going to amend.

2. If you didn't save the .tax file to your computer or lost it, there is a way to do it by starting a 2020 return in the Online version, transfer to that and then continue in the desktop version. You won't have to pay for Online.

First transfer into the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

Then to switch to the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

How to Transfer into the Windows Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

How to Transfer into the Mac Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

Thank you for the help, VolvoGirl. Those links worked perfectly & I'm now using the desktop version for 2020, rather than the online one. 

I have windows online version that I download onto laptop each year. Can I access the software online also through iPad?  I’ve tried logging into turbo tax account on iPad but don’t see anyway to access the tax information. It just gives me personal information and products to buy. 

@ron6612 If you have been using the CD/download to prepare your tax returns, your tax files are only stored on your own hard drive or any back up device you used like a flash drive.  They are not stored online.  You cannot access them via an online account.

Or are you asking if you can use online software instead of the CD/download?  You can use online with an iPad.   The CD/download cannot be used on an iPad or any other mobile device.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I’m using TurboTax desktop 2021 deluxe. 

@ron6612 Okay----then your return and your tax files are only on your own computer's hard drive.   You cannot use online or toggle back and forth to online---or whatever you may have been imagining.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can not download or install your Desktop program on the iPad.   You can not access your laptop program or return from the iPad or online or anywhere else.  Your return is only on your laptop and not synced, saved or stored online.

Aris1355

Faster than ever

I have Mojave 10.14.6. Will it work with the 2021 Deluxe Version?

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

You may review the download system requirements here @spartandiehard.

I now use the Desktop version exclusively for my business and personal taxes.  You are able to access and input more data entries than the online version (I found issues with QBI entry on the online version).  I also believe that you can send the desktop date to the online version easily, but not the other way around?  If you do not own a business and are just filing just personal taxes, the online version would most likely be the most optimal version to use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies