turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rrllc2004

Getting error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run ..." ???? No one to call for help anymore!!!!

I did look at the iPad app for TurboTax and then decided I prefer the one I have always used ... the CD version.

How do I "cancel or delete" the online free version so I can use my purchased version?

How come there is NO technical support anymore to call??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

69 Replies
jcrreid

Getting error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run ..." ???? No one to call for help anymore!!!!

Should I just give up and buy H&R Block's program? Sad that I have used TurboTax for 25 years ... and now no technical support to fix this problem. Spend 6 hours trying. HELP!!!
jcrreid

Still no assistance from TuboTax technical assistance to fix my problem. This level of support for such an important program and large company is totally unacceptable... if I don’t hear back from Turbo Tax today... I will move on to H&R Block and our long standing relationship will be over. Help!!!!
rrllc2004

TurboTax technical support WORTHLESS and NONEXISTENT ... BUYER BEWARE!!! Moved on without you. Good bye TurboTax.

Two different usernames are posting to this thread, so it is confusing.  The desktop software can only be downloaded/installed to a full PC or Mac--not to a mobile device of any sort.  If you are trying to use an iPad to prepare your tax return, then you can only use online TurboTax.

You do not have to cancel or delete your online account in order to use the desktop software.  If you want to clear out any information you did enter you can do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over

Just do not get confused between online TurboTax and desktop software.  We see users who download the desktop software but then they get confused and "log on" to online and wonder why they are being charged for using it.  if you use desktop software, you do not "log on" with a user ID.  You just open up the program from your own computer and start your return by going to File and New Tax Return.  It is also imperative when using desktop software to SAVE your work.  Desktop does not autosave.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rrllc2004

There is no confusion at my end ... I purchased the CD, stand alone version (as I normally do) ... not trying to run it as an "online" version. Both jcrreid and rrllc2004 are both me. When I finished the loading of the program and tried to use it I got the error 70001 "TurboTax is already running under another account. Switch users and run TurboTax from the other account to continue" ... why this error or how to fix, no assistance possible. The only thing I could think of was, at one point earlier this year, I looked at the iPad version (on my iPad) to see if I wanted to use it this year. I decided I did not like that version and went on to install the CD version as per my normal. After installing the program on my computer I was unable to run it because of the Error 70001 kept popping up. Tried uninstalling and installing again, made a new id for intuit (rrllc2004) ... nothing worked. Of course tried over and over to get help ... but we know how that turned out. As I said NO CONFUSION here I did not try to log online to use the CD version. Never got the CD version to move past the error.

Did you attempt to contact support? To call TurboTax customer support
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number">https://ttlc.intuit.com...>
They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rrllc2004

I called, several times, I could never get a real person to talk too. Lots of menu options ... and a dial tone.

I have alerted the moderators about your problem. Hope you are able to get some help.

Moderators gave us this link:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901436-error-code-70001-when-using-turbotax-desktop">https://ttlc...>
jcrreid

This link seems to be the best form of technical support TurboTax offers and it states this ...
“Error Code 70001 when using TurboTax Desktop
This is a spontaneous connectivity issue that Typically resolves itself as long as your connection to TurboTax remains intact while the process you are working on completes.”

I Don’t know about you, but this is not helpful. Clearly my description of the problem was not read or understood... which is why programmers need to talk to users to correct programming glitches. Using a forum board to substitute for a proper live discussion just doesn’t work to drive all programming improvements or finding programming glitches.

The above Technical Support... is telling me ... be patient the problem will resolve itself and go away. Nope! Too many frustrating hours wasted installing, uninstalling, mining the web for answers, calling Intuit to listen to multiple menu options and never getting to a technical person (perhaps the technical support is offshore and neither understands or can communicate in English, just a guess). The problem did not resolve itself.

I will consider the matter closed. I resolved my problem with doing my taxes by deciding to move on. BUYER BEWARE.

THIS EDIT IS REALLY ONLY FOR Jcrreid, INTENDED TO HELP IMPROVE HIS ATTITUDE. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For Jcrreid and your other ID: Your question confused me too because you were talking about the TTax CD and mixing in going on line etc. That just muddied your real question. Actually I had the same question...which is why I am here. Obviously the person who helped you, calm and without any insults, had good intentions. Bottom Line________________________________________ I am not an expert, just a 4 year user. Got the same error. It only seems to happen when I run one year, say 2016, and then open another year, say 2017 after closing 2016. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, I shut down my PC and restart the program w/o a problem. In addition when I close other apps/programs whatever (as the TT program so instructs) I don't get error 70001. That helped me and I hope it helps you. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jcrreid Now on to other lessons or a diversion: To me, the most offensive thing you said was criticism of those who may not have English as their first language. Wow, what a good example of bigotry, and perhaps racism. Archie Bunker at his best. You should have more respect for those who can speak other languages, sometimes many other languages, not just English like typical Americans. Reminds me of the "Ugly American" traveling abroad who demands people speak English. Also the same kind of person who demands McDonalds over the local diet, some other things you can explore to broaden your short range horizon. For example Real Belgian Waffles or Crepes Suzette. Yumm! Diverting a bit: Do you know why Many countries e.g. Cyprus and France, call "a quarter pounder" a "Burger Royale with Cheese?". Whilst this is not intended to emphasize "Pulp Fiction" or the murderer who made the same observation, it is intended as a lesson for the undereducated. Turns out most countries outside the US use the metric system and "pound" is unfamiliar. "Bad marketing don't ya know". (BTW, this Chemical Engineer and others prefer metric over the English system of weights and measures: much more practical. Using a factor of 10 is so much easier than converting units like e.g. miles/gallon instead of liters per kilometer. Maybe you haven't travelled the world and you live in a box where you think your way is the only way. Are you from Texas or Louisiana? (I know that is a generalization, but I am trying to make a point, that your apparent limited exposure can't yet understand.* You could broaden your horizons by realizing that there are others in the world with different cultures and different approaches*. They bring diversity to the table...an attribute that we use in the industry to be more effective in solving problems. Remember back in grade school your report card had a Report Card category "works and plays well with others?" I assume you made it through the third grade? Was your grade an "F"? It's never too late to learn. "Believe Me!" ---------------------------------- But I digress: *e.g. Back in my day in 1984, I was on assignment with my Division Manager at Esso Chemical in Normandie (French spelling) France. for 5 years. He had a real bad attitude. During high level meetings (actually during all level meetings) he used to say "This is the way we do it in Baytown Texas and it's the only way. (Apparently he had the "NOT invented here" philosophy) "It's my way or the highway!" He would also say, "No wonder YOU PEOPLE don't have Barbeque and French Fries, … oh yeah, what all y' all call Pommes Frites... or ya know, Freedom Fries." WOW! Total Silence in the room. 21 people around the table were aghast! (Another ugly American?) The very long and the short of it is that the (Texas American Vice President in Brussels, (that's located in Belgium) sent this "bozo" back to Baytown, Texas after only one year, cutting short his 5 year assignment. I used to joke with the locals that it was too bad this guy's Household Shipment of Furnishings, in one of those big shipping containers, didn't fall from the deck of the freighter during a storm! It actually happened to another Expat! --------------------------------- After 25 years of using TTax, I can't imagine you giving up so easily. I mean you sound like you have been a loyal customer. Also sounds like a very angry person. When Error 70001 first happened to me, I too got very frustrated, angry and cursed at my PC. However when you get angry and throw out insults, or are in a bad mood and take it out on others, do you really think that is going to help? Maybe you are older. Many older people are more abusive when they old. I know because I am 75. How old are you? Could be your young an feel "entitled", like others of your generation? Who wants to help an abusive immature fool? It was obvious you turned off those willing to help with your bad and repulsive attitude. You just came out swinging at the outset. Being cordial is not difficult if you try. It should always be your start game. Cordial and motivated to get a helpful answer. You might try it and change for the better. Again Very immature and lacking common sense and social skills. Then when you started to threaten by going somewhere else and badmouthing etc, I started to wonder whether you were just sick, or of the ME generation or your mother spoiled you and she did everything for you. She gave you immediate attention when you opened your mouth and demanded this or that. Maybe you just had a few bad days...Hmmmm probably off your meds. I go crazy when I am off my meds, but I don't get abusive to anyone else like you did. I'd hate to be on the same airplane s you....too risky. Emphasizing the point, try to CHANGE your attitude. Change is good. You'll find life is more pleasant. You should apologize for your very poor behavior. Apologize not only to the nice person who looked passed your behavior, and tried still tried to help. I'm trying to help; Sincerely. You should also apologizes to other people who read your diatribe and wasted there time in search for something more productive. Sm I wasting my time. No, not if it will help anther be a better person. Other people who are nice decent folk just coming here for some help. People help each other when they have mutual respect and treat each other according to the Golden Rule. I apologize that this comment is so long. I know I really overdid it. I meant it only for you. I don't expect others to read it this far. HA 🙂 I hope you do. You really, really rubbed me the wrong way! I hope these frank comments help you. I am only an engineer, not a therapist. I always try to help people. Maybe this will help you too. Have a nice week! BLGee
Bees
Level 7

They do not have support on weekends outside of the main tax season. If you look now on a Monday you should be able to get a number for  the support line.

It is getting harder to use the online version IMHO, they have to prevent people from using their program and not paying. If they would get payment up front it would solve that problem and they could provide a much more usable system.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

I'm having the same issue.  Rather than ranting on about bigotry etc.  provide solutions for crying out loud!!  I'm with the original poster technical support with Turbo Tax is non existent and spending hours to correct an error is BS.  Now I can't open any of my prior year tax software without getting that stupid error!!

Error Code 70001 when using TurboTax Desktop

This is a spontaneous connectivity issue that typically resolves itself as long as your connection to TurboTax remains intact while the process you are working on completes.

Solution

If the issue doesn't resolve on its own, close TurboTax, restart your computer, and reopen TurboTax.

If that doesn't solve your problem:

1. Make sure you aren't on a work computer. (Most work computers have a strong security firewall that can blocking TurboTax from accessing the Internet.)
  2. Check your firewall (like Windows Defender, Bitdefender, or AVG). Make sure it's not blocking TurboTax from accessing the internet.
  3. Run TurboTax as an administrator.
  4. Ensure TurboTax is up-to-date.

To reset your Internet connection:

1. Turn off your computer, your router, and your cable modem, in that order.
  2. Wait a minute, then turn your modem back on.
  3. Wait another minute, then turn your router back on.
  4. Once your router is back up, turn your computer back on and try logging in again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies