turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 2020 - Mac crashing

Hello,

I bought the Turbotax 2020 Deluxe + State for Mac, from Amazon, and it crashes as soon as I open it.

A window shows up about installing an update, then disappears.

I managed to get a refund, and I installed the 2019 version to see if I have the same problem and I do.

I don't remember if I had the issue last year, but right now I'm running Big Sur. The compatibility requirement (just noticed) are Catalina and Mojave.

Is this an OS issue?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I've used TurboTax for mac for years. This year's product however, crashes consistently. At first I could put up with it, as it just crashed when I tried to download the transactions from my brokerage accounts... However, now I'm currently not able to even open the product. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, followed the help articles on the TurboTax support site to completely remove the product from my mac, which didn't work... And then even waiting on hold an hour to speak with support. Support tells me that it's a known issue, and that they can't send me a new download, since I purchased from amazon, and the fix is to purchase a hard wired ethernet adapter to manually connect my macbook to a wired network. The project just attempts to download updates and then crashes every time. I've even updated my macbook to Big Sur as some articles said that this might help, but it didn't. Don't waste your time...

I ended up using Turbo Tax online, which is just as good as the software.

The only issue is... it's $30 more than on Amazon.

It's $50 on Amazon for Deluxe (Federal + State); but it's $80 via online...

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The downloadable version on Amazon would have required you to pay for the state filing fee as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jwldoc

Similar problem here.

TTPremier consistently crashing when I try to enter Investment income, requiring me to force quit.

Same outcome time after time.

Starting to become concerned.

Anybody have advice on next steps?

Mac OS 11.2.1

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You can try to remove the program and reinstall it to see if that resolves the issue: Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

To troubleshoot issues with updating the software, please see: Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac updating issues

@jwldoc

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for letting us know about your issue with TurboTax Desktop and Mac.

• Please disable any 3rd party Antivirus / Firewall / AntiMalware you may have running.
  • Verify that you are the System Administrator
  • Verify that nothing is plugged into your USB port (external drive / flash drive / jump drive)
  • If TurboTax is running in the Dock, please shut it down and REMOVE it from the dock before proceeding.
    • Left-click icon and choose OPTIONS >> REMOVE FROM DOCK or QUIT
  • Go to FINDER >> Locate TurboTax 2020 and drag it to the trashcan.
  • Look for any other occurrences of TurboTax in FINDER (sometimes it will be in an empty folder). As long as there are no other occurrences, go to the GO GO TO FOLDER >> Enter ~/Library and select GO.
  • FORCE UNINSTALL DESKTOP: Remove the following files and folders (look through each folder for anything that says TurboTax 2020 and delete it):
    • ~/Library/Application Support/TurboTax 20XX
    • ~/Library/Caches/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX
    • ~/Library/Caches/TurboTax 20XX
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.plist
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.LSSharedFileList.plist
    • ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.savedstate
    • ~/Library/Cookies/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.binarycookies
    • ~/Library/WebKit/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.intuit.turbotax.mac20XX
    • (This folder will only appear if you installed from the Mac App Store instead of a CD or download.)
    • ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.sfl
  • Close FINDER
  • COMPLETELY empty your TRASH -- everything must be emptied, not just the TurboTax files.
  • If you get any errors on this step, go through the folders again and check for files
  • REBOOT computer
  • Please disable any 3rd party Antivirus / Firewall / AntiMalware you may have running.
  • If you already have TurboTax 2020 downloaded, you may skip to Step 8 below.

INSTALL TURBOTAX DESKTOP

• Open Google Chrome and navigate to installturbotax.com and click SIGN-IN link in blue banner
  • Sign-in to your TurboTax account
  • Close the screen that pops up
  • Click the large blue button to download TurboTax 2020 Premier with State
  • Click COPY CODE (you will paste this later)
  • After download completes, close Chrome
  • Open Downloads and double-click on downloaded file
  • Drag TT icon into APPLICATIONS folder
  • Go to FINDER – APPLICATIONS – double-click TT
  • Be patient. The install can take a bit. Follow prompts as they come up.
  • If TurboTax sits in the dock and bounces, wait a minute or two to see if it picks back up. If it does not, double click to open TurboTax from APPLICATIONS again. Do NOT click the bouncing icon.

IMPORTANT: As TurboTax completes the installation, you MAY see an error screen pop up where you would typically type information and submit an error report -- DO NOT TOUCH THIS SCREEN! Don't close it, move it or type into it. This is a known issue that is impacting a very small percentage of customers and is being looked into by our development team. It will run in the background without impacting the program and will close out when you close the program. Clicking in this box will cause you to have to repeat the Force Uninstall procedure above.

After TurboTax updates, you are ready to go. Proceed as normal. When you are finished for the day, close the program as usual. When you are ready to go back to TurboTax, please launch from FINDER >> APPLICATIONS >> TurboTax 2020.

Should you have any problems or need additional assistance, please call us at [phone number removed].

Thank you,

The TurboTax Help Team

Where is the command entered "Enter ~/Library and select Go."

I can't seem to find any Mac commands associated with Library.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jpahwa

This solution worked for me on both 2020 and 2021 versions. Which means, your bug where the bug report shows up during installation and messes up the installation if you "touch" it, is still there in 2021 version. Both my installations were messed up but, doing a complete clean install fixed the issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies