turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is an error in my 2018 return made with Turbo Tax. My accountant did an assessment and it was a subtraction made by Turbo Tax that should not have happened.

What kind of support I'll have now since it was caused by Turbo Tax mistake.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

There is an error in my 2018 return made with Turbo Tax. My accountant did an assessment and it was a subtraction made by Turbo Tax that should not have happened.

First you can use the free amendment program to make the correction if needed if the accountant will not be doing it.

How to Amend

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

Next you can put in for an accuracy guarantee claim however it will only be paid out if it was a computation or programming error and not a user entry error.

Accuracy Guarantee https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-submit-a-claim-under-the-turbotax-1...

What was the error ? 

@libertad6 best to understand the error before beginning an amendment.

if the 'substraction' creates a situation that yields an additional refund, the deadline has passed for the 2018 tax year.

if the 'subtraction' creates a situation that yields additional tax due, then the tax remains due, 

what was the error? 

The error was in the subtraction. Taxable Income #14. I am aware that now I'll have to pay a couple of thousands plus hundreds on interest accumulated since 2019.

My question is, where is the responsibility from Turbo Tax on that mistake since I was trusting its system and CPA service.

How can I rely on a service that cost me hundreds on interest plus consultation with another accountant, plus over an 1hr on hold on the phone with the state tax phone line.

If you used the FULL SERVICE CPA  then contact the CPA that signed your return. 

If you used the DIY program ... see below ...

What is the TurboTax 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee?

In plain English, if you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

For complete details, see our Intuit Software End User License Agreement (look about 2/3 of the way down the page, under the heading TurboTax Accurate Calculation Guarantee).

You can read the fine print at the Intuit Software End User License Agreement for TurboTax Desktop Software or the End User License Agreement for TurboTax Online. Enter accurate calculation in the Find feature in your browser (usually listed under Edit) to go to it quickly.

Related Information:

@libertad6 - can you be even more specific on the error?  Line 14 of form 1040 is 'other taxes' , so not sure that is what you are really trying to convey.  what line was the subtraction on?  what line was subtracted from what? what were the numbers on those two lines and what did the software calculate as the result? 

Let's understand the Turbo Tax guarentee.  There are two types of errors that can cause the tax return to be incorrect.

1) the software doesn't follow the federal or states rules and that would include 'bugs'.  The software doesn't add, subtract, multiply or divide correctly resulting in an incorrect tax return.  Turbo Tax guarentees their software and if there is an error will pay the interest and penalties assocaited with the error, but it does not take liability for the tax itself.  p.s. any attempt to override any of the cells will invalidate the guarentee. 

2) the entries are incorrect.  If the data is entered incorrectly, that can also cause the tax return to be incorrect.  These entries are all made by the user.  Turbo Tax does not guarentee incorrect tax returns that result from user error.  

taxable income #14 tells us nothing since apparently this is a state income tax issue and every state return is different.   in any case you are responsible for the additional tax because you would have paid it in the first place had there been no error. all Turbotax covers if it is its computational error is penalties and interest 

to file a claim

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-product-orders/documents-need-sub... 

Thanks! I'll submit a claim.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies