Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Who can help with return that is stuck in IRS Error Resolution Department?

Lol these so called turbo tax people can kiss my a$$ telling us be patient how about u guys dont get paid till ever ones returns are dont there. Cutting or unemployment irs taken sweet time mine been 3 months in **bleep** error department and u telling us be patient go to hell

Try getting a tax advocate to help you although the Irs needs new workers or something because i claimed just me on my 2020 taxes and that is also delayed my 2019 taxes took a year and 2 months to get resolved

I tried a advocate they told me they cant help either cause of its still processing and blah blah so guess irs is aloud hold our refunds for ever

It took me a year and 2 months to get and that was because i kept calling but now my 2020 tax return is being held and i got a letter saying they need another 60 days what they need to do is give people there money because even if they work from home they should be able to process electronic refunds maybe contact your state representative 

True im still unemployed and there cutting unemployment june 19 they dont care sick them saying wait they wont even say if they need more or any thung. Ever tine i call they say wait till 10 weeks now it call back jube 19 then im sure be longer after that

Skylar

I was stuck in the same boat. I filed on early March and used my  income from last year and got the extra tax break from being on unemployment. 
from my understanding because of all that they will do verification of the 2019 “look back” election and are being manually processed by the IRS’s Error Resolution System. The IRS is placing those returns in “suspense” until an IRS employee can review them to verify their 2019 income or their and prior Economic Impact payments, if you claimed those as well. The return is essentially in a queue waiting to be reviewed and processed.

I finally received my refund after about 8-9weeks. 
hopefully people who are still stuck in the que waiting will start seeing their refunds soon. 

Due to the last minute and mid tax season tax law changes the IRS is trying it's best to deal with new situations that were unforeseen.  They are still understaffed and the computer systems are older so they must do the best they can under the current conditions.  The "error resolution dept" where all these returns were sent for HUMAN review usually handles thousands of returns per year and  MILLIONS have been dumped there in a short period of time for processing. 

If you want to get mad at someone then contact your congress person since they have been reducing the IRS budget every year for more than a decade  and then expecting them to do more with less but eventually it catches up and they can only do less with less ... the pandemic has shown a light on the insufficiencies that federal department has to deal with. 

sjc2001
Returning Member

Mine has been handed to the ers dept. What does that even mean?

@sjc2001 It means there may be  some sort of mistake on your return that requires a human to process it by hand, which takes much longer, so that is why your refund is delayed.   

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

Millions of refunds are delayed due to the backlog at the IRS.  Sorry---check the IRS site for information.   No information is provided to TurboTax after you file your return.

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  “21 days”  is not a promise from TurboTax or the IRS.   Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic.  The IRS is backlogged —-they are still trying to process millions of 2019 returns; they received millions of e-filed on the day they opened for 2020 returns, and now they are burdened with sending out another round of stimulus checks.   

Some delays are resulting from incorrect amounts that folks entered for stimulus checks they received.   Many people have been confused by the recovery rebate credit and completed it incorrectly.  The IRS may delay your refund while they cross-check to see what you received.  Some refunds are delayed because of the tax law changes that went into effect recently.   If your return has unemployment or the premium tax credit on it, that may be delaying it.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 34of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you live in the state of Ohio, our congressman put a stop to anyone using an advocate to help when returns are stuck in the error resolution department. That’s just wrong. Return accepted April 13 and still waiting and no one can help. 

This year unless your tax return is active (being in error resolution department is not active) you cannot use a tax advocate at all. Mine has been in error resolution department 105 days and that does not include the 21 days it was accepted. Most who used turbo tax got caught up in this because of issues with their tax software and yes this is accurate as it came from 4 different irs tax workers

126 days and counting

I waited a year for my 2019 taxes filed my 2020 those got held and i just got them but the amount was less then what i was supposed to get and they explained why iwas just glad to get my money keep calling when i called i pushed 1 for english then 2 instead of the button for refund status

365+ days and counting…

The good news is that my 2020 return only took a few months. The first 2 stimuli however were not included, just the 3rd one.
I’m just being patient, but no longer checking for the 2019 return. Nothing an advocate, or anyone can do but to wait for the manual review. Idk if increasing the irs budget is the answer. Maybe a simpler tax code, and process is 🤔

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies