Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When I try to e-file, I get an error saying validation failed b/c an update is available for my program. When I check for updates, there are none. Why can't I e-file?

I had the same issue, on a Mac. TurboTax was updated already, but it kept telling me to update and giving me the "validation failed" message. What worked for me was to quit TurboTax and then restart it. Upon restart, it automatically checked for updates (none needed) and then I was able to e-file.

When I try to e-file, I get an error saying validation failed b/c an update is available for my program. When I check for updates, there are none. Why can't I e-file?

I am also having this same error on my Mac with TurboTax installed. Updated computer and no updates for Turbos Tax available. I do NOT want to file by mail...  

Please make fixing the Mac side as important issue and the Windows side.

chen1101

I just had the same issue with MAC. 

Quit Turbo tax app and re-lautch, the new update was auto downloaded and installed, then e-file passed through.

Be sure fully quit Turbo tax app, otherwise won't work. 

Susi49

Very frustrated with not being able to E-file. Program is updated and current. Endless looping of "try again"

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I can not e-file my taxes and I can not find the update it is asking for.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax FAQs to assist with troubleshooting your update issue. 

If that doesn't work, please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist you. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@zuritaluis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
calderso

I'm getting this same error on my PC and am prevented from e-filing my taxes.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting tips provided throughout the thread?  if so and your issue persists, please contact support via phone for one-on-one assistance @calderso.

Turbotax 2021. Receiving Validation failed error message. There are no updates available. I have received the message that Turbo Tax is up to date. I have saved, shut down and reopened to no avail, receiving the same message. I have paid to e-file and would like to e-file. Please advise on next steps.

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

If you have clicked on "Check for Updates" and your software states, no updates are available, you can try manually updating your software. If you have already tried that as well, and your issue hasn't been resolved, please contact us at customer support so we can further assist you.

@Unhappy5Paid

Melanie Baltezore
Returning Member

Re: When I try to e-file, I get an error saying validation failed b/c an update is available for ...

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Your post is incomplete - are you experiencing the same issue with program updates? @Melanie Baltezore.

psarachik
Returning Member

I  sent my original message 2 years ago while trying to efile my 2019 taxes. I didn't get a satisfactory solution for four months and eventually had to file by mail.  As a result I no longer use Turbotax. I see from the recent additions to this chain that the 

problem has not really been fixed.

Melanie Baltezore
Returning Member

Can't e-file return because I need to check for Updates.  Can't figure out how to find the menu item "Check for Updates"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies