Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I try to e-file, I get an error saying validation failed b/c an update is available for my program. When I check for updates, there are none. Why can't I e-file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

54 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

When I try to e-file, I get an error saying validation failed b/c an update is available for my program. When I check for updates, there are none. Why can't I e-file?

Please see the FAQ for assistance:https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-desktop-windows-update-loop-at-e-file/00/...

We apologize for any inconvenience this experience has caused and we are working diligently to help the returns get filed. On the above FAQ there is a link "here" that you can click on to receive an update once this has been corrected. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same issue on my mac . Is there a solution you can provide for mac users?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

You can attempt to follow the steps at this link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/there-is-an-update-available-message-... . If the issue persists, please click here to get in contact with customer care.

danny19

I'm having this issue for a Mac when filing for California for the 2019 Home and Business edition 

jk47196
Returning Member

I'm having this issue on the Mac (Deluxe Version) with Wisconsin as my state.

Same issue on my Mac with TurboTax Premier and filing Federal + Arizona. 

DonBronBronito
Returning Member

Same issue with Turbotax Premier and Delaware state on a Mac.

Same issue with TurboTax Deluxe and California, on a Mac.

Same issue on a Mac personal and business edition

I'm having the same problem in Oregon, using TurboTax Deluxe for Mac

I have same issue with TTax Premier and state IL & mac. All updates done. Mac OS updates done. Also re-installed & rebooted multiple times. I filed 1 set fine over a week ago, then had this start for my additional e-file submissions 2/15/20 - 2/16 & 2/17.

I just checked for updates again (about noon PT, 2/17/20) and saw there was a new one available.  After installing it, I was able to e-file both federal and state with no problems.

DonBronBronito
Returning Member

Can you post what version you're on or the about page so we can compare.  I didn't have an update available as of 7PM EST 2/17/20.  Running mac.

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 7.12.49 PM.png

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax for Mac automatically adds the current tax form updates whenever you select Check for Updates from the TurboTax menu. This creates the illusion that updates are available even if you're on the latest release.

If you want to make sure you're up-to-date, quit and reopen TurboTax. If you're not on the latest release, the program will automatically download it.

If that doesn't work, you can force a download of the most recent update. This applies to the TurboTax for Mac CD/Download and for the TurboTax 2015 app available in iTunes.

1. Open TurboTax and select the TurboTax menu.
  2. On your keyboard, hold down the Option key.
  3. This will change the Check for Updates menu option to Download Latest Updates...
  4. Selecting this option will force the most recent update for TurboTax to download and install.

Please click Why does TurboTax for Mac keep saying there are updates when I check for updates? to learn more.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies