Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What price increase is coming February 28, 2023? Just got an email saying we should print or file by then. We aren’t ready to do so.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies

What price increase is coming February 28, 2023? Just got an email saying we should print or file by then. We aren’t ready to do so.

Look at the fees on these screens.  See the prices with "strike-through's"?   That is what the price will go up to on March 1.   You do not have to file by March 1.  You can PAY the fees before that date to lock in the lower discounted rate.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The early discounted prices usually expire on March 1 and go up to full price.  See the online prices here.  You can pay early and file later to lock in the early price.

Online Prices

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ 

How to review your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

How to pay,  use this FAQ on how to preview your return.  It will make you pay if you say you want to print now.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

This is really annoying.  There are tax documents that aren’t available or required to be filed with the IRS and sent to taxpayers before Feb 28 (and some after).  So there is no way to finish the return.  And TT always has more patches and updates, some years even after April 15.  But they want us to pay these fees early?  Might as well just bundle the fee with the annual software purchase and snatch it from me in November!

I just received the email, and I'm still confused.

I already own Turbotax Premier, desktop version. I realize that the email states the price increase is for "TurboTax Online products". However, the asterisk at the bottom of the email states the following:

"*Federal and state prices are expected to increase on TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Premium, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Full Service, TurboTax Live Assisted, and TurboTax Self-Employed after February 28, 2023 midnight PT."

That sounds to me like prices are going up on everything. It may just be a case of poor wording, but it is ambiguous.

Help?

And I can’t find a way to prepay the filing fee on TT Deluxe, Premier, etc anywhere online.  

@Mikemcna @anastrophe   If you already have the Desktop program installed don't worry about it.  They sent that marketing email to everyone they have an email for.  It's just for Online versions.  Oh and if you still need to buy the Desktop program.  

But also the $20 fee to efile a state return in the Desktop program will go up to $25.  

Sooo...based on your last sentence, it does apply - in part - to Desktop, not just online.

Yes the state efile fee.  I don't think there's any way to prepay that early before filing.  I try to finish and file before March 1.  Years ago the increases were later.  But this year when I bought my CD at Costco I got a $10 credit that was automatically applied to the $20 efile fee so it was only $10! I think Costco & Sams have that offer. 

What is the $10 credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/credit/turbotax-desktop-10-credit-availa...

It's just odd messaging from Intuit I guess. I bought TT Premier on Amazon for $64.99 on Jan 14, and I see the price now is $82.99, so I guess I should be thankful for small favors.

I have to wait until after March 15 to file, as I have a single investment that has 'special reporting requirements', sigh.

I see the strike through but I have yet to find the fee increase and the file by 28 Feb date or it goes up under the "*" in the long legal disclaimer.  I already paid for the cd/download version lat month, not the online version and I have downloaded deluxe onto my computer yet I still got the email today saying I have to file by 28 Feb or the price goes up!  I already paid for the download version!  I'm tired of these little games by TT and will go elswhere next year.  They have lost a decades old customer over these types of games they seem to play lately.

@sudiki  Ignore that marketing email.  It is mainly for the Online versions.  You already paid for the Desktop program.  Except the $20 fee to efile a state return will go up to $25.  Read this whole thread.  I explained most of it.  It's been this way every year.  

I have the downloaded deluxe on my desktop and I got the email today also.  Why would they send it to the download customers if the increase is for the online customers?  I feel it's a purposeful trick and quite frankly I'm tired of these little games they have started playing in the recent years.  Every year it seems to get worse.   I'm going to go elsewhere next year.  they have lost a decades old customer because of these type of confusing things!

" Oh and if you still need to buy the Desktop program. "

what does that mean???

@sudiki 

IF you have already purchased the Download version, the only price increase is:

1)  The State e-file goes up from $20 to $25  (except NY)

and

2)  If you still have to buy any additional states beyond the free one? (...if you have the versions with one free state)..those extra state software sets will cost $45 instead of $40

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies