turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

Yes - Any person who willfully delivers or discloses to the Secretary (of the Treasury) any list, return, account, statement, or other document, known by him to be fraudulent or to be false as to any material matter, shall be fined not more than $10,000 ($50,000 in the case of a corporation), or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

From 26 U.S. Code § 7207.Fraudulent returns, statements, or other documents

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

there are some ones trying to file my three kids on their taxes and they do not take care of them and I do not want them to file them as it dependent so what can I do to stop that

I do not work and I do not file taxes and I do not want this person to fight my three kids on their taxes so what can I do to handle the problem I want you to block it

What do I do if someone file me without my permission

File your own return (you may have to mail it) and let the IRS determine who can claim you.

I have not been around the woman i married in 1998 and she file me as a dependent on her stimulus check i am disable and it has taken my check from me 

The woman i married in 1998 filed me as a dependent on her stimulus i am disable and she got the money leaving me unable to provide for myself I have not been around her in a decade 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

First, go ahead and try to file your return through e-file.  If someone else has used your SSN, the return will be rejected. 

If it’s rejected, this has nothing to do with your ability or right to file your return.  Unfortunately, though, you'll have to file your return on paper -- that is, you can't electronically file your return.

If this turns out to be the case, please see the TurboTax Help articles "How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?" or How do I print and mail a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?” as appropriate for guidance on filing a paper return.

You’ll need to attach a statement, saying that your e-filed return has been rejected, and express any suspicions that you might have. The IRS will make a determination about this, although it will take a few months.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The situation is I did not work in 2020.  I live with my mom but the father of my two youngest children claimed them, me, and my two other children without my permission. His mother prepared the taxes in the state of Tennessee stating he lives there and us but we live in North Carolina and he was working in North Dakota most of the year after COVID.  They have never answered me about the taxes and what happened if any refund and he will be getting the child care credit and I dont know what to do because my mom already filed her taxes with my step dad because they could not claim us at the time because his mother had already done it.

@ovazquez61 

For the 2020 return :

If you were qualifying dependents of your parents then they should claim you and the kids by mailing in an original return or an amended one if they already filed.  Don't worry about what the father did. 

For the 2021 return ... file it correctly and let the chips fly.  If you don't get the CTC in advance the person claiming the child on the 2021 return will get the credit then.  

My sister and brother in law used me last year on there taxes and they tried year and it says the can't someone ride us using me I only have them permission to use me

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Tell your sister not to claim you on their taxes. If you need to file your own tax return and they have already claimed you, you can file a paper return, explain your situation in a statement, and attach it to your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Go to the IRS and request a personal identification pin. Even if someone has your information for a return or identity theft- they can not submit to the IRS without the PIN. Each year the IRS will snail mail you a copy of your new PIN. Here is the link to obtain your PIN. https://www.irs.gov/iden[product key removed]-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin
good luck! 

Obtain a personal identification pin from the IRS. No one can use your Social Security number or information without submitting the pin to the IRS each year the IRS will send a new personal identification number to you via snail mail. Here is the link to obtain your pin from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/iden[product key removed]-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

If you didn’t file taxes, then you would have to prove to the IRS that they did not support you. You may want to think about that because you’re going to have to explain how you supported yourself? You will have a difficult time proving fraud, which is a criminal charge. The only way you can “get the money” you think is yours is by filling your own taxes, claiming yourself as independent. But it sounds like this was a few years back…. And unless you filed an extension- which is usually 3-6 months. Not years.  My advice is to cut your losses, and move on. In the future you can apply to the IRS for a personal identification number so that no one can use your Social Security number or information without having that PIN. The IRS sent out new pin numbers each year via snail mail. Here is the link to obtain your PIN. https://www.irs.gov/iden[product key removed]-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies