turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to uninstall TurboTax Business 2019

I originally downloaded Turbo Tax Home and Business 2019 and everything was working fine. Then I found out I needed to use Turbo Tax Business because Home and Business didn't have the form I needed. I downloaded Business 2019 from a download link provided to me but when I try to open it it says "Could not connect to the update site" (Remote Server Error 404). I tried all of the steps listed but am unable to uninstall (it says "Turbo Tax installation has encountered an unrecoverable error"). Now my original Turbo Tax Home and Business is being affected - I saved my tax file to my desktop, but I'm unable to even open that now. I'm not sure if having two Turbo Tax installs is causing the problem but am getting frustrated because I don't know how to reach technical help directly on the phone and the links that were sent to me didn't help. I don't want to lose all the information I have already entered! Everything was working fine until I downloaded Business 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

TurboTax business is a separate program used for preparing returns for S-corps,C-corps, multi-member LLCs, and estates and trusts.  I am not aware of any situation where you would need a form from the business program to add to your  personal tax return.  If you have a business that requires a form 1065 or form 1120 tax return, you use TurboTax business to prepare that return. Then, you use information from that business to return to prepare your personal tax return.

Who “provided you” with a download link for TurboTax business? The program normally costs between $129 and $169.  Did you get a pirated copy? Did you buy a copy from a scam website at a super cheap discount?  Why are you trying to add a form from the business program to your regular tax return?

I didn't realize until a few days ago that I would need TurboTax Business 2019 because Form 1041 is not provided on TurboTax Home and Business. I have to complete Form 1041 and then enter that information in the Schedule K-1 section of Home and Business. When I talked to someone from Turbo Tax support a few days ago and explained the situation she sent me a link to download Business - so it was not a scam or pirated copy! I just need to know how to uninstall it because it is causing so many problems with Home and Business (which I had purchased as a CD). I guess I'll have to find some other way to do Form 1041.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

"  To uninstall TurboTax, you'll need administrative rights. Your steps may vary slightly, depending on how you've set up your Windows operating system preferences.

1. Close TurboTax.
  2. On the Windows taskbar, select Start, and then select Control Panel.
    • (In Windows 8, access the Control Panel from the Power User menu, which is opened by simultaneously pressing the WIN and X keys).
  3. Select Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features, if you don't see the uninstall option).
    • In Windows XP,  select Add or Remove Programs.
  4. Scroll down to the TurboTax version you want to remove, select it, and then select the Remove, Change, or Uninstall button.
  5. On the Repair/Uninstall TurboTax screen, select the Uninstall TurboTax button."  Ref: TurboTax

This link Uninstall TurboTax for Windows  has additional information you may find helpful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@TamaraQ wrote:

I didn't realize until a few days ago that I would need TurboTax Business 2019 because Form 1041 is not provided on TurboTax Home and Business. I have to complete Form 1041 and then enter that information in the Schedule K-1 section of Home and Business. When I talked to someone from Turbo Tax support a few days ago and explained the situation she sent me a link to download Business - so it was not a scam or pirated copy! I just need to know how to uninstall it because it is causing so many problems with Home and Business (which I had purchased as a CD). I guess I'll have to find some other way to do Form 1041.

Cool, you got a big freebie!

Turbotax Business and Turbotax Home & Business are separate programs.  They should be able to co-exist peacefully.  (You can't install two instances of the personal turbotax, but Business and H&B should definitely be able to co-exist.)

Possibly you should try uninstalling H&B first, then remove Business.  Run antivirus and any disk repair tools you like to use, and do a clean restart of your system.  If you can get both programs off, you should be able to reinstall both of them (one at a time) and have them live together peacefully. 

Thanks. I tried what you instructed to remove Turbo Tax Business but had the same error message: "Turbo Tax installation has encountered an unrecoverable error. Would you like more information on this error?" I click on "more info" and  it directed me to a Turbo Tax web page that said "We're sorry, the page you requested could not be found". I don't know what is going on and don't know if I'll get the same error if I try to uninstall Home & Business. I don't want to lose all the information I entered there and I'm only able to save it as a pdf.  I am signed in as administrator and I also tried the Forcefully Uninstall & Reinstall but some of the files referenced weren't there. Is there anyone I can contact at Turbo Tax support who could connect to my computer to see what is going on? If not then I don't know what else to do.

Your tax return can be saved as both a pdf and a tax data file.  Put those in a safe place and make backups, then you can delete the programs without fear.  If you can’t save the data file that’s an indication of a serious problem.  You should be able to do a Save...As to change the name and save a copy on a flash drive or other safe location.  

I’m not sure your problem is solvable by TurboTax, I think you have a file system or hard drive error.  My windows fixit skills are limited to running chkdsk /f from the command line.  

Following those directions did not work.  I got a message saying unrecoverable error.  What now?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@AZbuckeye9 If you're still experiencing issues, please reach out to Customer Support here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Leibo7962

I am also having the same problem as Tamara unistalling turbotax Home & business. It did not install properly the first time. got hung up at 28% for 2 hours. Then when i tried to install again it said that there was already a version of turbotax 2019 which i needed to uninstall before I can install this version. But when i try to uninstall from 'programs' it gives me 'Tubotax has encountered an unrecoverable error' & won't let me go further. Is there a number that can be called? (in business hours apparently) At one stage yesterday I got Error 1612. 

I installed quickbooks 2020 last week with no problem. I would say, since multiple people have the same problem that it is a Turbotax problem & you need to fix it & give people the help they need in a timely manner.

ddougdoug

I had exactly the same problem: install stopped at 28% for hours.  Stopped process.  Unable to uninstall after that.

That's the obvious . I get an error code 1315, then when I try to reuninstall it provides a dead link to " more information>" Another wonderful Intuit product that doesn't work right at the download. I have a certified version from Amazon.

@designla wrote:

That's the obvious . I get an error code 1315, then when I try to reuninstall it provides a dead link to " more information>" Another wonderful Intuit product that doesn't work right at the download. I have a certified version from Amazon.

Error code 1315 is a Windows error code.  It could be a corrupt uninstall of the previous edition or something totally unrelated to TurboTax.

You will need to contact TurboTax support so they can assist you

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Here's a couple links that might help.

How to uninstall Turbo Tax from a Windows computer

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/uninstall-turbotax-windows/00/25643

If you are having trouble uninstalling and reinstalling the program see this….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/00/260...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies