Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

craigtyn
Returning Member

TurboTax 2022 for Mac crashed - Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

I had same problem.  Looks like latest OS caused it because a month ago my .tax2022 was workable.  4 days ago went to file taxes and I also crashed with DYLD symbol missing,  Went to apple store and they reinstalled Catalina.  Of course when I tried .tax2022 message was "need to update to current OS.  Great.

I have early 2014 MacBookAIR which is apparently near end.  Guess time to buy the latest  MBAir.  Prefer an Apple fix now.

How does one contact the apple software folks.

l

@craigtyn It's definitely not related to macOS. The problem started with the TT update that came out last week and Intuit has been able to repeat it. More details are included above.

Note that contacting Apple will not help as Catalina is no longer maintained. Ventura is the only version of macOS that still gets bug fixes and that will go to security fixes only in the fall.

Same problem. Used to work fine on OS 11.7.6, now crashes. Of course had to update TurboTax before opening it. Why don't they just allow people to open the software they purchased! But there are so many scammy ways that Intuit turned to recently that this one is just a drop in an ocean! I am not holding my breath that Intuit will fix this, more likely they will tell you to switch to TurboTax Online! Like so many people I am very DONE WITH INTUIT! 

There's a new update v.2022.r40.070 available today, but it fails repeatedly for me while trying to expand the downloaded update file.

Unfortunately the v2022.r40.070 update crashes after update in macOS Big Sur 11.7.x with the same "DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing" error. No problems when run in macOS Monterey.

I have had the same issue on MAC OS 11.7.8, and contacted support a week ago to open a case.  I called today to find out the status -- bad news -- the support report spoke with their supervisor, and this is an 'ongoing problem', no schedule for a fix, and offered me a refund.  I've read that you can import TurboTax files in to H & R Block's software.  Given Intuit's lack of testing and support on MAC OS, it's time to look at alternative products.

I just got off the call with the TT support. While it is a known problem, they escalated it only late last week. They acknowledged that it began recently with the recent updates. They are working actively to fix it. She added my case to the active issue (I believe the issue # is 266577). I am supposed to get update via email as they address the problem. I will post the updates as I receive them.

Compared to many other consumer software, I was satisfied with the TT response. Agreed that they should have tested it fully but bugs do occur. I am satisfied if they can resolve them quickly and keep us updated.

If you have the old installer, you can indeed re-install TurboTax and not let it connect to the Internet... which is what I did. The moment you try to e-file, TT forces the update, and then it's back where you started. 

That may not work if you are in the middle of doing your taxes. I tried it and it gave incorrect results for my state return. Then it failed altogether.

I have had an identical experience. I am using TT Premier 2022 on a MacBook running Big Sur 11.7.9

I found the exact same termination reason in the crash report on my machine DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing.

The exception Type: EXC_Crash (SIGBRT). 

I copied the crash report and Library Log report for the TT use ( TTD file the date of the crash) and tried to send to Intuit as requested, but the email address I was given, [email address removed] came back undeliverable.

@Schedulee4me TurboTax support has released a Support FAQ for this problem.  You can sign up to get progress updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/other-articles/turbotax-cd-download-mac-...

BobGChi

I have exactly the same problem - try to resume my tax preparation, click on TurboTaxPremier, it says I need to upgrade, I click to upgrade, wait for upgrade to download and install, then CRASH. Symbol missing error is the same.

It is good that I am not alone, but the time between first message in this list and now is quite awhile. Hopefully Intuit has some program developers who can fix the problem.

My system is a MacBook Air 11" (6,1) running MacOS Big Sur 11.7.8 with 8 GB of memory.

Fortunately, I printed (saved PDF) the interim edition of my tax return. I can print out my estimated tax payment coupons from that PDF. I do have some additions to my content to make before I can submit to the IRS. I was hoping to finish it before our vacation trip, but due to the crash, perhaps not.

To try to update, I need to go back to a non-upgraded version of TurboTaxPremier. Fortunately I found one on my Time Machine and don't have to go back to the CD.

At the time of the crash, it also says that the crash dump will be sent to Intuit by Apple. Intuit should have quite a bit of information from all its customers on Apple Macs with the same crash problem.

It would be nice if Intuit would notify by email all of their customers who have added their comments to this Discussion, when they have fixed the problem. They are not obligated to do so, but it would be nice.

@BobGChi 

There is a known issue, especially with TTX and  OS 11:

Register at this FAQ for getting notification when the FIX is issued:

TurboTax CD/Download for Mac won't open after updating (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

If TT only supports certain versions of Mac OS why don't they state this. 

They do state it.  And if you try to install Turbo Tax on an old system it won't let you and tell you that you need to update your system.  That is different than the current Mac problem.  Did you read that link he posted?

System Requirements:

Window System Requirements
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Mac System Requirements
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies