Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2020 software for Windows Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, and Business editions. We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2015 or earlier tax years.
- 2020: Windows 10 or later (Windows 7 not supported)
- 2019: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1. Although TurboTax 2019 will install on Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), we strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing. More info
- 2017 and 2018: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, or Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later)
- 2016: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2 or later)
Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax.
Processor: Pentium 4 or Athlon or later
Hard Drive Space
- 2020: 1 GB for TurboTax (plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 if not already installed)
- 2019: 2 GB, plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft.NET 4.5.2 client if not already installed
- 2016, 2017, and 2018: 650 MB, plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft.NET 4.5.2 client if not already installed
- 2020: 2 GB or more recommended
- 2019: 2 GB or more recommended
- 2016, 2017, and 2018: 1 GB or more recommended
CD/DVD drive if installing from the CD.
- 2020: 1 Mbps modem (broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates and optional online features
- 2019: 1 MBps recommended speed. Internet connection is required for product activation and updates.
- 2016, 2017, and 2018: 56 Kbps to e-file and download updates (broadband recommended).
Monitor resolution: 1024x768 or higher recommended
To view your tax forms onscreen, you'll need Adobe Reader 11 or higher (plus a Windows-compatible printer if you want to print paper copies).
Note: If you just meet the minimum system requirements, TurboTax may run slowly on your computer. We recommend exceeding these requirements for best performance.