Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax 2021 Deluxe asked for activation a second time after 11/18 update

I downloaded and activated TurboTax deluxe 2021 on 11/12.

Today, 11/18, it downloaded the first online update. It is now refusing to start without re-entering the activation code a second time. I need to know if this will use up another of my 5 permitted activations. I have to run this on 3 computers all of which have been activated once already prior to the 11/18 update.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Update to the previous message. The second time I started TT on the third machine it asked for an activation code.

I called support on 12/7/2021 and was able to get a TT Deluxe 2021 Fed+State pushed to me. It requires a remove / new install for the new download - the new activation code didn't work with previous federal-only installation that was deactivated.

View solution in original post

63 Replies

I can't find a way to start TurboTax 2021 without re-activating. On a new computer with an activated TurboTax I did the following:

1. Disconnect network
  2. Start TurboTax
  3. "To get software updates, you need to connect to the Internet" dialog comes up
  4. Press "cancel" button
  5. "Let's install the latest updates" dialog comes up
  6. Updater runs, even though disconnected from network.
  7. "Successful Updates" "(released 11/17/2021)" program updates dialog appears.
  8. Press "Continue using Turbotax" button.
  9. Puts up new license agreement dialog that has to be agreed to.
  10. Activation dialog appears - "to activate your purchase you'll need to connect to the internet.

I really need to know if I can reactivate an already activated TurboTax 2021 WITHOUT losing one of my 5 activations.

this was a problem last year as well...and it uses up an install

I think @Critter-3  figured it out last year  (and may correct me if I have this wrong)

But I think the issue was tracked to the exact computer setup you had when you first installed the program.

1) If you had any kind of a usb device or flash memory inserted in a port when you first installed the software, it has to be present again when you run an update. Otherwise, it will ask for the code and use up an installation

or

2) IF no device was installed in a port when the software was initially installed, and there is one in a port when you run the update...then it will ask for the code and use up an installation.

Use them up uselessly....you can always try customer support during working hours to see if they have another solution (or allow you a new code):

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

There were no configuration changes between the first activation and today. Thanks for the contact info - I've been on the phone with support for 40 minutes now. Activating one machine today used another activation code, so support is trying to figure out how to give me more activations.

I've confirmed it's a problem with today's update:  After being forced to re-activate my primary computer and unable to decline the update on my second computer, I restarted the update on the second computer, killed the wifi to interrupt the update, after which I was able to cancel the update and open TurboTax 2021 without having to reactivate, which rules out a computer issue, such as Windows update, an external drive attached / not attached, etc.

After verifying it wasn't a computer issue, I went ahead and allowed TT 2021 to update on the second computer, and ended up in activation hell there, too.

As such, I've now burned 4 activations on 2 computers.

Intuit really needs to fix this.  This has been a problem for all three TT versions that have required activation.

The only improvement is that TT 2019/2020 was a user-level activation, a problem on multi-user computers, and TT 2021 is a system-level activation, as it should be.

The support agent was unable to push a new activation code to me because TurboTax 2021 Deluxe wasn't in their support system yet - I have to call back in a couple of weeks. She did annotate my account to say to give it to me when I called.

I'm having exactly the same issue with TTax 2021 Premier.  Installed in early November, launched several times without incident to work on tax returns.  Launched it today, Nov 19, 2021.  TTax installed updates and now it wants activation code again. 

We really need help with this.

One of my 3 previously activated computers hasn't gotten the update yet. I plan to not launch TurboTax on that computer for a couple of weeks in hopes that whatever update is available then will have figured out that it doesn't have to be reactivated.

Update: Called TTax support and pointed to this thread.  No known resolution and the product is new enough that support reps "cannot create an order for new activation codes."  The only advice was to check back sometime in the future.

@krochat   IF you are using Windows computers

....on the computer you've already updated...go up into the to top bar menu

>>Online>> Updater Preferences>>  and select the choice indicating you don't have an internet connection.  

Yeah, you do, but this selection turns off all automatic updates.   (or optionally, the "Ask Me" selection instead)

You can still check for updates later, perhaps in a few weeks...when you decide you want to attempt it again.  (historically, this hasn't been available for folks on MACs)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@krochat - thanks for the thought, but once the update has been made, it isn't possible to get into TTax without burning another activation code.  so it's not possible to change preferences.

The updates are important.  The product was released on November 4, very buggy and very imcomplete.  The first few updates are what make the product useful.

@GregY    That was my comment, but only for his computer that had been updated, and didn't need the code again ( unless he updates again..maybe)

I always turn off my automatic updates selection, the very first time I install may desktop software...then I can always choose when to update or not... 

Of course, I won't bother buying an installation download until January, so that most of these problems have already been worked out......( thanks to all you beta testers 😉    )

Duplicate comment - removed

I am a Turbo tax advantage user and called the "special support number for Advantage members" since I had the problem this morning.  I tried to explain the problem and after about 30 minutes was told it was because I had both Business (1041) and Premier (1040) installed. Wrong,  but I did get the agent to say she would report the issue. About 5 minutes later a supervisor called me back and apologized for the incorrect information regarding have both Business and Premier installed.  She indicated that they are aware of the issue and working on a fix.  Hopefully they will make this a high priority.  In the meantime I turned off the automatic update per your suggestion. Thanks for the workaround.

@krochat   @GregY   @proudmom52 

Any chance any of you are using a VPN?   

One user found that their NortonSecureVPN was causing the problem, and turning it off, just for the update and restart, eliminated the need for re-entering the code.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies