Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax 2021 Deluxe asked for activation a second time after 11/18 update

I did, ran a fresh install.  That didn't work, so I did another fresh install.  Got this again both times:

Screenshot 2022-02-03 140405.png

I'm not an idiot.  I'm not a computer scientist, I'm a lawyer - who worked 8 years in-house at Microsoft and another six at VMware.  I've participated in dozens of beta programs as an in-house guinea pig; over the years I've become pretty adept with the command prompt. 

The problem here isn't my environment - the program worked just fine for months; my return is already half-done.  A recent update blew everything up.  Has anyone bothered to look at that code for a bug fix?

When VMware had an activation problem with a customer, they would just muscle it through on the server side.  Can you not do this?

I am sorry if I sound frustrated - it's because I am extremely frustrated.  I need to get my taxes done, don't want to have to take a box of paper to a CPA just so they can use their software to get it done. 
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For further assistance please click the link below for Customer Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Today I updated the BIOS of my desktop PC because it was recommended by the manufacturer for security updates. Then when I started TurboTax 2021 it asked for the activation code. Huh? It WAS activated the end of DEC or early January.  I called support but the agent didn't have a resolution so she asked for help. While waiting I tried to open TurboTax 2020 .....guess what, it is also requesting Activation again. OK, try to open TurboTax 2019, same problem, wants Activation again. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! 

Changing a USB, network drive, printer, video card or anything other than the Mainboard should not de-activate software, period. TurboTax, please get your act together and fix this.

3 versions broken.3 versions broken.

Three versions, 2019, 2020, 2021 all broken!

Welcome to my nightmare.  There's a bug in the phone-home for activation, apparently added by last Sunday's update - TurboTax worked on my computer just fine before then. 

I've spent hours on the phone with several different support people, none had any inkling about what's going on.  Apparently they don't talk to each other or put notes in a file for the bug notice, since I had to start from scratch with all of them.  They tried all sorts of things for my machine - like strip out all security protections, which should absolutely not be a prerequisite to use of any program - none of which worked a bit.  Even shutting the proxy server leaving the thing totally naked didn't help at all.

Two items of note:

1) I also use Quicken.  It continues to work just fine, even with the new version downloaded yesterday.

2) H&R Block also works just fine.

I also use Quicken, without problems.

I only used H&R Block one year, prefer TurboTax.

I've been a Quicken user since the DOS version. I've been using TurboTax since the beginning of time when it was owned by Chipsoft I think. And I've been a Beta Tester for both in the past.

Quicken is no longer owned by Intuit.  It was sold many years ago.

Thanks. 

It has nothing to do with the computer, its changes, or peripherals. My clean laptop faced the same humiliation.

The issue is the current update. It actually corners you into an update you really dont need, then humiliates you into providing an activation code for a software which you already activated and used the previous season.

Absolutely Frustrating

But kudos to customer service, they try their best always!!

Wrong, very misleading!!

It has NOTHING to do with VPN, anti virus, Internet connections, peripheral drives, and all the nine yards.

It is a programming problem which INTUIT needs to know and act upon or they will lose customers greatly.

Frustrating.

Thanks for giving me a laugh. I needed it after a long frustrating day. 

hanks. 

It has nothing to do with the computer, its changes, or peripherals. My clean laptop faced the same humiliation.

The issue is the current update. It actually corners you into an update you really dont need, then humiliates you into providing an activation code for a software which you already activated and used the previous season. Say for TT 2020.

Absolutely Frustrating

Cheer up @Kevinfay  I have been FRUSTRATED  just like you. 

hanks. 

The issue is the current update. It actually corners you into an update you really dont need, then humiliates you into providing an activation code for a software which you already activated and used the previous season as for TT2019 or TT2020

Absolutely Frustrating

@Kevinfay  😄I actually liked that bit " H & R block works just fine". 

In this frustrating moment, that made 😄evening bright.  Thanks again.

Well, I did it again - I upgraded my Windows 10 to Windows 11 and sure enough, TurboTax 2021 is asking for activation again. Good thing I already filed my taxes.

@krochat Lucky you, you already filed. But you might need to reload your file again for another reason next year or so.

At that time you will be stuck. 

😡It is about time INTUIT employed a good programmer. 😡

I've now been making sure that I have NOTHING plugged into my computer when I start TT - this seems to wor. I've had three upgrades installed using this strategy - it is asinine, but whatever works. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies