turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

esse101

Turbo tax wants to get paid again for me to get a copy of my previous tax return. After charging me $200+ to file they want me to pay again? Are they ripping us off?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Turbo tax wants to get paid again for me to get a copy of my previous tax return. After charging me $200+ to file they want me to pay again? Are they ripping us off?

When are you being asked to pay for TurboTax?

If you used and paid for one of the 2018 TurboTax online editions of either Plus, Deluxe, Premier or Self-Employed then you have access to all of your prior year online return up through October 2020.  Provided you created the 2018 online account using the exact same User ID that was used to create the prior year online accounts.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

Bees
Level 7

If you used a paid version last year you should not have to pay to keep your history active. Are you using the same user ID  login as you filed with in 2018.?

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

Seems like they have changed things again ... to access prior year returns you must ONLY REGISTER the 2019 account ... upgrading and paying for PLUS are no longer needed ...

How do I access a prior year return?

You’ll need to register first if you don’t already have access to your prior year returns under Your tax returns & documents as you sign in to TurboTax.

Before starting, make sure you’re using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as previous years.

To access:

1. Choose TurboTax Free Edition when starting if you haven't already done so.
  2. Follow the screens and provide some personal info. 
  3. When you’ve reached the Personal info summary screen, select Continue.
  4. Then, select File in the left-hand menu (this is just a step in order to register, you won’t actually be filing).
  5. Continue until you get to Review your order and select Start.
  6. Select View payment options.
  7. Then continue until you get to the registration screen.
  8. Enter your info and select Register, then Continue.
  9. Go to Tax Home in the left-hand menu.
  10. Under Your tax returns & documents, go to Download/print return (PDF) (select Show if not visible).

Related Information:

Seems like they have changed things again ... to access prior year returns you must ONLY REGISTER the 2019 account ... upgrading and paying for PLUS are no longer needed ...

How do I access a prior year return?

You’ll need to register first if you don’t already have access to your prior year returns under Your tax returns & documents as you sign in to TurboTax.

Before starting, make sure you’re using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as previous years.

To access:

1. Choose TurboTax Free Edition when starting if you haven't already done so.
  2. Follow the screens and provide some personal info. 
  3. When you’ve reached the Personal info summary screen, select Continue.
  4. Then, select File in the left-hand menu (this is just a step in order to register, you won’t actually be filing).
  5. Continue until you get to Review your order and select Start.
  6. Select View payment options.
  7. Then continue until you get to the registration screen.
  8. Enter your info and select Register, then Continue.
  9. Go to Tax Home in the left-hand menu.
  10. Under Your tax returns & documents, go to Download/print return (PDF) (select Show if not visible).

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies