Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pbarreto1

Turbo tax charged but didn't file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies

Paying your fees to TurboTax does not file your tax return.  You have to go all the way through the FILE section and click a big orange button that says "Transmit my return now."  If you did not do that then you did not file your tax return.  You can still do that.  If you are getting a refund there is not a penalty for filing after the deadline.  If you owe tax due, then get it filed as soon as possible since your penalty/interest have begun to add up.

You may have to click on Add a State to get back in to the return and file it.  You are not really adding a state--but that will let you back in to file it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I didn’t e-filed and got charged. Talked to representative Marissa and told me I won’t get my payment back just become I used the software. Not happy at all and not assuming this response. Moreover, will never use this platform again if I don’t receive my money back.

I also began filing through Turbotax,  but stopped after seeing the cost.  I was charged,  as well. I'm very upset, and will NEVER use Turbotax again.  

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You will only be charged once you print/download or file your tax returns.  If you feel you have been charged in error you can contact a representative using this link.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Even then it still may not get transmitted.  I submitted my 2017 with you guys and received a letter from the IRS saying they wouldn't touch my 2019 until I file my 2017 returns.  I had to paper file my 2017 because of this and they aren't even reviewing paper returns.  

Thanks Turbo Tax 

jasonrosenthal
Returning Member

Yea they charged me 170$ and said someone else had already tried to file with my social for the year. I want my money back asap this is complete bs to be doing to people durring covid 19 shame on you turbo tax.

@jasonrosenthal Did you use the non-filer site to get a stimulus check?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

Or if someone claimed you as a dependent or used your Social Security number on a tax return already, the IRS rejects your return.  When that happens you can only file your return by printing it, signing it and mailing it in.  The IRS will not let you e-file with a duplicate SSN.  

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jasonrosenthal
Returning Member

i need the 170$ i spent to use this service to file my taxes which they did not do. How can i get my 170$ back? 

jasonrosenthal
Returning Member

I am struggling very badly rightnow and im low income if i dont get my 170$ back ill have to report fraud to my bank or something

We may sympathize with your problem--but you paid to use software to prepare a tax return.  You did that.  The IRS rejected the e-file.  You were still able to file it--you just had to file by mail.  The fee for using TurboTax is the same whether you e-file or mail it in an envelope. 

h17
Level 2

Intuit is incredibly shady. Don't be surprised when they don't say things like they charge extra when you pay with your refund or charge before you even finish filing. My pending charge appeared well before I finished filing. It's too bad they have such a strong lobbying power that they make it harder for people to file. If not for them, the average tax payer would have a much easier time filing for free.

I also was charged $125 last year and taxes were not efiled. 

Intuit must have a safeguard that clearly protects clients

against this continued problem. Then clients have to mail

in their returns as it is to late to efile for the previous year. 

They have to print out their returns try to figure out what needs

to be sent for the federal and the state. It is not acceptable and

their should be a safeguard in place so the client knows that

their taxes were not filed, and not find out until the following 

year. Intuit needs to help here. 

There is.  And you do need to check your emails to see if your efile was Accepted.

When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.  Accepted only means they accepted your return FOR Processing.  Not that your return is right.

On the efiling page the program tells you confirmation emails will come that is why your email address is confirmed before you file.  You can also log in and simply look for the current filing status on the landing page.  TT doesn't try to hide your status and they go out of their way to make sure you are kept in the know.  In the end you are your own preparer and you have the final responsibility to confirm the efiling was successful ... the DIY program can only do so much for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies