When you registered your information for a stimulus payment before filing your taxes for 2019, you essentially filed a federal tax return that was designed for individuals with no filing requirement. Now that you tried filing your actual return, the IRS sees this second one as a duplicate and rejects it. Since they already received a tax return (your stimulus submission) with your SSN, you got e-file reject R0000-902-01 when attempting to file this time.
The IRS is working on a solution to help. To fix this error, you can print and mail your return:
- Sign in to TurboTax and select Fix my return.
- On the next screen, select File from the left menu.
- Don’t select the Continue to refile button on the bottom right, as you need to print and mail instead of attempting to e-file again.
- From the Welcome back screen, select Continue on the bottom right.
- Don’t select the Fix my return button on the upper left.
- Select Start/Revisit next to Step 3: Get ready to save and file your returns.
- On the Let’s get ready to e-file screen, select File by mail.
- On the next screen, select Change next to 2019 Federal tax return, then select File by mail and Save. Do the same for your 2019 state tax return.
- Then select Continue and Download on the next screen.
- Your tax returns will open in a new window. You can download, save, and print them from here. The summaries at the beginning of both your federal and state returns include instructions and mailing information for you so you know exactly where to send them.
- Before you mail, write Amended EIP Return at the top of your 1040 form (your federal return), without writing over any other information or fields.
Contact us if you need additional help with your return.