Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ccwjcs

Transferring return from Desktop to Online

Is there a way to Transfer 2019 return from desktop to 2019 Online version without having to re-type everything?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can transfer from desktop to online.

Here's how to transfer:  You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)  Ref: How do I switch from TurboTax CD/Download to TurboTax Online?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Right, but what if you filed your 2019 taxes (this year's taxes) on the desktop version but want to upload to the online version?

braydenh

i am having trouble finding the tax tools menu to import last years information

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's an article that will help you import your prior year's return.

Transfer last year's return to 2019 TurboTax for W ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ch98
Level 1

This is TOTALLY WRONG.  It won't let me transfer THIS YEAR's file. It only let's me TRANSFER LAST YEAR OR THE YEAR Earlier.  This is the 2nd or 3rd person to tell me this and none of them work.  Please get your answers straight.  Can anyone confirm that they can transfer THIS YEARS return done in the DESKTOP version to the ONLINE version?

@ch98 wrote:

This is TOTALLY WRONG.  It won't let me transfer THIS YEAR's file. It only let's me TRANSFER LAST YEAR OR THE YEAR Earlier.  This is the 2nd or 3rd person to tell me this an none of them work.  Please get your answers straight.  Can anyone confirm that they can transfer THIS YEARS return done in the DESKTOP version to the ONLINE version?

No you cannot transfer the 2019 tax data file from the desktop edition to the 2019 online edition.

The 2019 tax data file from the online edition CAN be transferred to the 2019 desktop edition.

ch98
Level 1

Thank you.

This does not seem to work. I do not see a TaxTools menu, nor do I see a Tools menu, nor do I see any option to transfer (after looking through all menus and options). 

@Zorkmop 

What exactly are you trying to do ?   Open a return or Transfer in the prior year info ?  And which tax years are in question? 

Suijin

It would be helpful if some of these "experts" actually read the question before answering.

I also need to do this to workaround the import for Mr. Cooper not working on desktop. It does work on the website. Of course we can't even upload the desktop return to online to use the workaround.

JENANE

Hi, I bought the download version and couldn't transfer my prior year 2021 from the online version where I filed last year, I don't get those options;  Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer

or ViS versa .. any idea what I'm missing pleas?

One way is to start a 2022 Online return and transfer into that. Then you can download the .tax2022 file from online and just OPEN it in the Desktop program.

First transfer into the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

Then to switch to the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

@JENANE wrote:

Hi, I bought the download version and couldn't transfer my prior year 2021 from the online version where I filed last year, I don't get those options;  Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer

or ViS versa .. any idea what I'm missing pleas?

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Start the 2022 online tax return by entering some personal information then click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen. 

You are not going to pay for the 2022 online account and you are not going to file the 2022 tax return using the online account, you only need to enter the personal info so that you can access your prior year online tax returns.

On the Tax Home webpage -

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies