You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2019) if you're preparing your 2019 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)
- You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2019.
- Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions
Note: If you already started your 2019 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.
Here's how to transfer:
You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).
- Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started.
- After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left column, and then select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over.)
Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file. Once you're done, follows these instructions to return your CD/Download copy of TurboTax.
Check out our various TurboTax Online products here. You can compare and find which version is right for your tax situation.