turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

If you purchased the CD you cannot download. Best to always purchase the Download version and then you can download PC/Mac files to any computer as well as copy installation files to disk.

peekie00

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

Deluxe Turbo Tax installs one computer.  

No installs 4 computers.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you purchase the desktop version of TurboTax, you can install it on five different computers. Please look at the article below.

Can I install TurboTax on more than one computer?  

If you find you are still having issues with it, please don't hesitate to contact support to help you with a push download if available.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This problem is still there for the 2021 return.  I had the exact problem with the 2021 version. 

I have read the poster here. So many users were strugling to resolve this problem.  But currently, what I see is that the method to resolve it is to call Turbotax, spending one to a couple of hours,  and get a new license key.  Some users were even not lucky enough to get a new license code.  

Here is a simple way to resolve it.  Find a computer with DVD drive, copy the file to a USB drive, install the software using the USB drive, activate the software using the license code.  I have successfully installed the software in my second computer.

Alternatively, you can upload the DVD content onto a cloud drive.  Then download from the cloud drive to your laptop computer and install it.  I have test this way but I can't think of any reason that it can't work.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for providing this suggestion.

@caonimade

Hi, I have the exactly the same problem. I need to install on a second computer, but it won't allow me to download. Do you have a solution? I'm thinking about returning the CD and buy a new one. What a waste of time!

that's not reasonable. I need to buy a piece of hardware just to install on my laptop. I will return the software and buy a new copy I guess

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Qin Zhang

You might try the above suggestion by @caonimade

If you find you are still having issues with it, please don't hesitate to contact support to help you with a push download if available.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit 

jimbo0427

It does not tell you this on the CD package when you buy it, but I just talked to the CSR about this problem. If you buy the CD, it has the option to download both platforms--on a Mac or a PC. They offer the Download option sort of as a "complimentary service". 

Also---for the Download, it is ONLY available (for CD purchasers) on one platform--EITHER a Mac or Windows PC. For example, You cannot chose Mac and then also use the Download feature for the Windows version. You would need to use the CD to get the Windows version at that point.

jimbo0427

This is what they told me---

Users who purchase the CD didn't used to be able to use the download feature. It has been added as a complimentary convenience for ONE platform only--to download to a Mac OR a PC--NOT BOTH. If you use the download feature for your Mac, you will not be able to use it for your PC and vice versa. In this case, you would need to use the CD to install on your other device. Apparently you can use the CD to install TT for multiple computers (5 total times) if you intend to use on both a Mac and a Windows PC. An external CD reader is necessary for many people who have devices which no longer have a CD drive built in. 

But you should be able to call in and get the other download.   You just have to get someone who knows that.

And if you already downloaded it (or installed from the CD) you can't install it the other way either.  

See the new info on this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

It says...

You can download your software directly from TurboTax. But, keep in mind, you can't use both the CD and the download — you must use one or the other.

And....if the CD has already been registered and installed on another device, you will not be able to switch to the download product or you may receive an error message that says, "This product is already associated with another account."

I have checked my downloads and this Turbo Tax has never been downloaded

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

See this link here for troubleshooting steps. If you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

@robert7karenhartman

I went (back) to copied the code (copy code) and after I click on Copy code. It's downloading

elacz

Here is likely what is happening. Anyone who purchases the CD from a retailer is recommended to first download their software using the key prior to ever inserting the disk in a computer. 

The likely scenario is that once the disk version installed as the first install, the key never has a chance to associate with an account and is used up.  This is because it sits in the Turbotax Database as a record where the CD key exists, but no associated account is tagged to it. The download button on turbotax is a lookup function for the cd key, but does not have an if Boolean to check for an associate account. Despite how the error code reads and leads you to believe that it is associated, when it actually is not. 

The following error will appear when trying...

Please complain to Turbo Tax about this glitch so they post a fix. It's been happening for years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies