Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The activation screen for 2021 is blank. Where do I enter the activation codes?

I installed the 2021 TurboTax and have reduced the screen resolution to see the box, but it still does not let me enter the activation code. Why does the resolution need to be reduced anyway? This is a major bug.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I called the support line and they told me the solution:

Start TurboTax

When the blank Activation Screen comes up, Right Click on the Desktop to Display Settings

Change Scale and Layout to 100%

Go back to Activation Screen and enter activation code in Activation box (Ctrl V from Copied code)

The activation code will not show itself in the box

Click on Activate in lower right hand corner

Go back to Display Settings and enter in the original scale

View solution in original post

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the troubleshooting steps in the following help article to see if they might help resolve your issue.

Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images

If those steps do not resolve your issue, you may need to update your video card driver. Please see the following help article for more information.

How do I fix blank screens during activation or in-product purchases

If you are still experiencing issues with activating your software, please comment back with specific details of the issue.

@WMDDRB48

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

43 Replies

I called the support line and they told me the solution:

Start TurboTax

When the blank Activation Screen comes up, Right Click on the Desktop to Display Settings

Change Scale and Layout to 100%

Go back to Activation Screen and enter activation code in Activation box (Ctrl V from Copied code)

The activation code will not show itself in the box

Click on Activate in lower right hand corner

Go back to Display Settings and enter in the original scale

Why does the resolution need to be reduced anyway?

It's a Windows thing. You shouldn't muck with the default  resolution because some programs can't handle it.

The TurboTax Activation Screen comes up blank with the default Windows resolution and scaling. The Activation Screen only appears when the scaling settings are changed after the blank screen appears. The step by step solution that is posted as the best answer came directly from TurboTax over the phone and works.

Best

NOT ABLE TO ACTIVATE

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the troubleshooting steps in the following help article to see if they might help resolve your issue.

Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images

If those steps do not resolve your issue, you may need to update your video card driver. Please see the following help article for more information.

How do I fix blank screens during activation or in-product purchases

If you are still experiencing issues with activating your software, please comment back with specific details of the issue.

@WMDDRB48

I’ve gone thru the steps of changing resolution and can now see the activation screen however the box to enter my code will not allow any entries? The hyper links all work it is just that box that is active? Now what do I do?

Use ctrl-c to copy the code and then place your cursor on the box and use ctrl-v to paste the code. The code will not show up in the box. Move your cursor to activate and click to start the program

suggestion you gave doesn't work, call wayne [phone number removed] you've had my money since 12/22/21

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

You can try this resolution in this link here, provided by @miklk99. If you continue to have issues, please contact us via this link here.

@kstoakley

I totally agree. I have changed the resolution, removed the antivirus, rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled the software and then I was on the phone with Turbo Tax for 45 minutes this morning and the young lady told me to call Costco, since I bought it through them.  I am a longtime user, but am so frustrated with Intuit.  This must be a conflict between Microsoft and Intuit, but the hastle and run around is really ridiculous.

I somehow got it to work I went in to properties for turbo tax and had to change the windows compatibility to windows 7 also not sure if you figured it out all ready but don’t change the resolution to the lower level until the blank activation page comes up then change it hopefully at that point I finally saw the button to push for activation and you type in the code box even though you can’t see anything  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@jimandkathy10 Refer to the above post by @EbonyL122824.  Please reply back if this does not resolve the issue.

🛑RESOLVED - Leave blank activation page open>>right click on the desktop>>click display settings>>change resolution to one below customers resolution>>The page will change, and you will see the box to enter the code; however, you will not see the cursor and the customer will not see anything when they type in the box, but it is typing. Now, once the customer has typed the code(only numbers and letters, no dashes)>>change the resolution back to original>>verify code is correct>>Click activate>>Change resolution lower again>>Click get started>>Change resolution back to original. 😎

The method is all about changing resolution over and over to see. This is an issue related to Microsoft Windows. There is some file, driver, or permission blocking visual feedback.

With all due respect, this changing of the resolution and copy and pasting is NOT a solution. I have tried that and while it worked for activation, I have the same exact problem when I try to download the state version. The problem with THAT is choosing the state is through a dropdown list that you cannot choose from at all. So now this software has become vaporware.

I should not have to go through hoops to run this software. It is clear that this is a major bug in the programming. I don't want to have change resolutions, update my video drivers or adjust my firewall settings (the latter of these do NOT work, BTW). I have been a TT user for more than 20 years and this is completely unacceptable.

FIX THIS or you've lost a customer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies