Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PRINT AND SAVE YOUR TAX RETURN

I received a message to: [PRINT AND MAIL THESE FORMS TO THE GOVERNMENT.  Even though you e-filed, don't skip this paperwork.  These forms are required by the government to complete your return.]  Two buttons are available: [Print Forms] and [Save Forms].  Both buttons generate an error: [Print Forms] generates - "Your forms can not be printed.  Error in converting your forms to PDF format." [Save Forms] generates "Your forms can not be saved in PDF format."  What do I need to do to comply?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Make sure you are selecting a printer you have access to in order to print your forms.  Based upon your messages above, it sounds like you are trying to print to a pdf document which does not physically print out but saves to your hard drive.

There are two option available when you try to print.  You can either Save As PDF or Preview Print Copy.  If you want to save as a pdf, be sure to have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed as shown in the screen below.  You can also download it.  Or you can choose to preview the print copy and print to a physical printer this way.

Printing

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

Thank you for replying.  I saved my taxes in .pdf.  I have a different problem.  Specific forms seem to be needed and mailed to the IRS when you owe taxes.  Turbo Tax will not generate the forms when selecting the buttons I wrote about in my original post.  Without the forms being generated by Turbo Tax, it’s not clear to me what the IRS is requiring to be physically mailed.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you need to pay your federal taxes due, please follow the instructions here

Hello,

Thank you.  I don’t seem to be making the issue I’m experiencing clear.  I don’t have a problem paying my taxes using Turbo Tax.  

The Turbo Tax software has a page as I’ve explain in my first post, telling me I must print out and physically mail something, this is my issue as I don’t know what the something is, to the IRS.  Please carefully read my three posts before responding because I need an answer that will resolve this.  Most likely there is a glitch in the Turbo Tax software that is preventing the generation of the document(s) I need to mail to the IRS.
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for clarifying your issue. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@pbrdlr

There are only 12 forms that fit this situation--you can e-file, but must also mail the paper form.  The most common are a 1098-C (donation of a motor vehicle), form 8283 (certain non-cash charity donations) and forms 8332 (given to you by the custodial parent of your child, allowing you to claim the child as a dependent even though they lived with you less than half the year.)

All 12 forms are listed on form 8453, the "transmittal" form, which is basically a cover sheet that you mail with whatever other form you must mail, so the IRS knows what to do with your form when they receive it.  Here is a copy of the blank form 8453, listing all 12 forms that could be attached.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf

If you view or print the PDF of your tax return, or the PDF for "all forms and worksheets", it should include a copy of the transmittal form 8453 already filled out and with a checkbox indicating what form it should be sent with.  Most of those other forms should be part of your tax return PDF.  Form 8332 is given to you by the other parent of your children and form 1098-C is given to you by the charity to which you donated a vehicle.  If you need to mail form 8283 for certain non-cash donations over $5000, you may need to get the form signed by an appraiser and an office of the charity.

Using most PDF software, you can selectively print form 8453 plus whatever other form is checked on the front.  If you are mailing a form 8332 as a result of a custody order, you mail the signed original but keep a copy for yourself just in case.  

i need to print my return

@sjones1402 wrote:

i need to print my return

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Or -

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

Jay51

I have the same problem. I called customer service and they told me to just print my entire federal and state returns and mail them in. They did not actually solve the problem as you presented. Did you ever find a solution? I think the solution should be for TurboTax programmers to fix the pdf rendering.

sblackwood2
Returning Member

Print tax files federial and state

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to print your return.

How do I get a copy of a return I filed this year in TurboTax Online?

@sblackwood2

i can not print my return

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@wallshobie  The following Help Article can assist you with resolving printing issues:  Troubleshoot printing issues.  If there is a particular issue you're experiencing, reply to this thread with more detail and we can assist you further.

Additional ReferenceHow do I get a copy of a return I filed this year in TurboTax Online?

C45til2061
Returning Member

I can not print & save my tax forms, what is wrong??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies