Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

That's good advice. 

@NCperson This came in an email from the VA. It discusses dependents for veterans and SSI recipients who don't file taxes. It doesn't explain why how someone could have the IRS accept the from on April 11th and not get the additional $500 per child. I wonder if it has something to do with May 5th deadline. I'm including the link to the website where this information is located. Hoping this helps others. At least now I know that if I file taxes next year it should be resolved.

SSI and VA recipients: Have a child but don’t file a tax return? Visit IRS.gov now

SSI and VA recipients who have children and who weren’t required file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 should visit the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool on IRS.gov. By quickly taking steps to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they can receive the $500 per dependent child payment automatically in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. Otherwise, their payment at this time will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child amount would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.

SSI and VA recipients who receive Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefit payments should receive their automatic payments by mid-May. If they have children and aren’t required to file a tax return, both groups are urged to use the Non-Filers tool as soon as possible before the May 5 deadline. Once the deadline passes and processing begins on the $1,200 payment, they will not be eligible to use the Non-Filers tool to add eligible children. Their payment will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child amount would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/va-ssi-recipients-with-eligible-children-need-to-act-by-may-5-to-quickl...

I know exactly how you feel. Turbo tax is not responding. This is definitely my last time filing with them. They could at least explain to everyone why they haven't reported our dependants to the IRS. Smh

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

YOU report to the IRS via your tax return.  TurboTax is simply the vehicle you use to create and file that return.

This FAQ site should answer your question.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Only YOU report your dependents to the IRS, since only YOU put your dependents on your tax return.  Whatever you have entered on your return when you hit the submit button to e-file is what goes to the IRS.

Hi, I received my stimulus check it was only 1,200 and it was supposed to be 1,700  I have a child 

Nevaeh 1  her S.S # [social security number removed].. When I did the form for stimulus payment I put Nevaeh info on the form and it said payment would be 1.700 .. so I would like to no why I only got 1.200.  Thank You Heidi   

Per IRS, you will be able to claim additional amounts not awarded for dependents when you file your 2020 return. Ref: IRS Newswire IR-2020-85, dated 30 April 2020.

Per IRS, you will be able to claim additional amounts not awarded for dependents when you file your 2020 return. Ref: IRS Newswire IR-2020-85, dated 30 April 2020.

@Rainman12 I understand that we can file 2020 taxes and they will fix it then. I think the frustration is being told to use the non filers tool to make sure we get our dependents payments and we don't get paid for them anyways. 

My husband is a 100% disabled vet and his disability is our only income. Since that money isn't taxable we used the non filers form. The one they say to use so you get the money for your dependents.  We did what they told us to so we wouldn't have to wait to get that money and it didn't make a difference. Do you understand the frustration there? Reading thru here seeing a lot of veterans and SSI recipients all in the same boat. Did what they told us to so not to delay payment and payment is delayed anyway.

@CatinaT1 Yea Turbo tax is the vehicle but its not delivering all the information!! How is it that everyone who used Turbo tax didnt receive all or no dependents pay? Strange???

I received wrong amount while I should be receiving 3400$! But I received 2900$

i filed for my two boys for 2018,2019!

what to do now

thank you

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

We are not currently aware of any way to request an adjustment to the funds received this year.  Although this could change, we have not seen any indication so far that payments will be adjusted for the advances.

However, you will receive any additional credit to which you were entitled when you file your 2020 taxes.

@Rami99

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Considering that over 30 million people file with TurboTax, of course millions got correct stimulus payments.  If your dependents were on your filed tax returns, that's the information the IRS received.  If your stimulus payment was incorrect, that would be due to a fault in the IRS system and we are unable to help you with that,

Kimmbaee

My stimulus  check is wrong  I didn't  get the 500 for the third  child 

Was a child over 16 on Dec 31, 2019 or turned 17 in 2020?  Has to be UNDER 17 on Dec 31, 2020 (that's right 2020).

You will receive any additional credit to which you were entitled when you file your 2020 taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies