Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@NCperson This came in an email from the VA. It discusses dependents for veterans and SSI recipients who don't file taxes. It doesn't explain why how someone could have the IRS accept the from on April 11th and not get the additional $500 per child. I wonder if it has something to do with May 5th deadline. I'm including the link to the website where this information is located. Hoping this helps others. At least now I know that if I file taxes next year it should be resolved.

SSI and VA recipients: Have a child but don’t file a tax return? Visit IRS.gov now

SSI and VA recipients who have children and who weren’t required file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 should visit the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool on IRS.gov. By quickly taking steps to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they can receive the $500 per dependent child payment automatically in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. Otherwise, their payment at this time will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child amount would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.

SSI and VA recipients who receive Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefit payments should receive their automatic payments by mid-May. If they have children and aren’t required to file a tax return, both groups are urged to use the Non-Filers tool as soon as possible before the May 5 deadline. Once the deadline passes and processing begins on the $1,200 payment, they will not be eligible to use the Non-Filers tool to add eligible children. Their payment will be $1,200 and, by law, the additional $500 per eligible child amount would be paid in association with a return filing for tax year 2020.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/va-ssi-recipients-with-eligible-children-need-to-act-by-may-5-to-quickl...