turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It looks like Turbotax did not file my state tax return, despite saying that it was accepted. I cannot seem to get a hold of a person. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

It looks like Turbotax did not file my state tax return, despite saying that it was accepted. I cannot seem to get a hold of a person. What can I do?

TurboTax does not file your tax return.   YOU file your tax return when you mail it in or click the button that says "Transmit my return now."  If the state is saying you did not file--are you sure that is the issue?  Or is the state saying you did not PAY your tax due?  That is not the same thing.  If the state accepted you return, but you owed state tax due, your bank or credit card record is your only proof that you paid.  Do you have that?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the IRS accepted it, what does it say here? 

https://www.irs.gov/refunds           Or does your account say “Ready to Mail?”

Note: If it says “Ready to Mail” or “Printed” that means YOU have to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on 2018

What is the status of the e-filed state tax return?  If the status is anything but Accepted then the tax return was not e-filed.  If you did not print and mail the federal tax return then the return was never filed.

Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the state.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  The state return may or may not have a mailing address shown on the form.  If not, then go to your state department of revenue website for the mailing address - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

If Accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

It says that it was efiled successfully and accepted by the state, however when I called the state they had absolutely no record of it. I can't get anyone on the phone at Turbotax and I feel like this could be resolved if I could. I'm very frustrated, I don't want to pay late charges because of Turbotax's mistake and I'm about to lose it.

@steenalewpez wrote:

It says that it was efiled successfully and accepted by the state, however when I called the state they had absolutely no record of it. I can't get anyone on the phone at Turbotax and I feel like this could be resolved if I could. I'm very frustrated, I don't want to pay late charges because of Turbotax's mistake and I'm about to lose it.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

On the contact website Edit the product to CD/Download and the edition to Deluxe.  On the following screen enter your personal information and then click on the blue button labeled Get Phone Number
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

geor11
Returning Member

You have messed me up.

No, I have the same issue while I filed on January 30th and still on Feb 18 my CA state tax has not been accepted. I called CA tax office and they told me this maybe is from Turbotax side as we are receiving many calls like this. Can you please look at this issue deeply?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Some of you have noticed an issue where your return has been in a pending status multiple days. This pending status means we noticed an issue that may have caused your return to be rejected and are doing an extra review to assess the reason it was flagged, resolve it for you, or identify what you need to do to ensure everything is accurate and your return is accepted.  

If this applies to you, we will be sending you an email within 48 hours with confirmation that your return has been filed, or instructions for any additional steps that need to be taken to ensure an accurate return is filed, accepted, and you receive every dollar you deserve. We apologize again this has caused a delay in receiving your refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
STAZ369
Returning Member

TurboTax accepted my federal and the irs accepted it

TurboTax stated in an email that I need to file my state tax. And message in the page bord to file state 

File state TurboTax then state not accepted because irs did not process my federal. 

Called irs the accepted my federal 3 lies so far

5 0ut of ten people are having this same problem. 

I don't think turbotax kows that fals advertising is a hounded thousand dollar fine per person not as a hole.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for assistance. An agent will be able to confirm the status of what returns were electronically filed and proceed accordingly. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@STAZ369

STAZ369
Returning Member

My statement was wrong the irs web page stated that they have not approved my federal 😒 apologies TurboTax they still did short me last year out of 700$ but. This year it's the irs that's taking there time no gas to work not much food left and my phone goes out today 🙃 got to love the government when they want money it's due yesterday when where the ones getting money it's like well there's a lot of people I don't think that makes sense because the amount of people that pay in each week is no different then the amount of people that the pay to lol funny how **bleep** works. I need my money yesterday 😩😫 

All that I ask for is proof that Turbo Tax filed my state returns. This answer is a classic attempt to deflect the issue. My CA state tax return was e-filed. I paid $29.95 for the service each time that I e-file. I received an email that notified me that my tax return was accepted. But the state did not receive my return for 2018, 2019 and 2021. It is now 2023 and Turbo Tax tries to deflect the issue by asking if I failed to pay my taxes. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@VooDooCable 

You would need to reach out to the California state Department of Revenue for assistance with this.

How do I print my ready to mail state tax return? And where do I send it to? Never had to do this before 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

It will print with mailing instructions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies