Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Demianstrouble
Returning Member

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

The IRS is not a " Gov.  Tryrone", because it isn't a government agency. It is it's own separate entity, with it's own rules and regulations, with no watch dog, or supervisory committee. They don't conduct surveys, or allow for suggestions, on how to better conduct operations, to make the system more efficient.

I've been trying to contact the irs but i can't get through is there another way?

@Demianstrouble 

The IRS is very much overseen and their website is always asking for your opinions.  What they do have is a congress which asks them to do too much with too little and on short notice during the end stages of a pandemic.  I am surprised they have done as much as they have under difficult circumstances.  

And due to reduced budgets every year for a decade they cannot afford a dedicated staff just to answer the phones which is why less then 5% of the calls get answered.  So that means that all the staff no matter which department they are working must answer phones for a percentage of their work week ... one agent I talked to said 10 hours a week he had to answer phones and the questions asked span the whole spectrum and are not just confined to his specialty.  If you want to complain call your local congress person and demand the IRS be properly funded so they can have the needed staff and updated equipment so that they can do a better job than they can do now.   https://federalnewsnetwork.com/hiring-retention/2021/07/irs-needs-multi-year-funding-to-overcome-sh...

at1ret95

I have been trying for more than a month it is now July 2021 and I am unable to reach anyone at the IRS number, I can not make an appointment at a local office and I can not get through to the Advocate number all of them have the same recording saying "sorry due to the high coll volume.....call back another day". I have tried on opening and various times throughout the day and the same thing. I have no idea what to do now I have tried everything except going to the local office demanding an appointment.

That may be what you have to do.  

Have been trying for 4 months....tried the way described.  Once you get through and they say they are transferring me to a rep, a recording comes on and says due to the volume of phone calls, try again later.  I have tried all different times and days....same thing.  My return was sent in Feb and it is Sept and I can't get any info.....since I sent it through turbotax, isn't there anything you can find out?

@gatorsmomkathy 

No.   TurboTax cannot find out about your refund.   After you file your tax return the IRS does not and will not share any information at all with TurboTax.   Only the IRS is in control.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review. As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper,  it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JulRob67

I filed back on March 12 2021, I received a notice from them saying I needed to verify my identity, I’m thinking, ok, that’s simple enough, yeah, I don’t think so!!!!!!! 

It says the easiest and safest way to do this is online, however in order to make an account with them online you need all sorts of other identification, to which I have NONE of what they want. So because I can’t open an account online, I’m left with the only option, calling them. 
I have tried calling them for 6 months now, and still haven’t been able to get through, it’s ridiculous!!!!!! What I don’t understand is, they had no problem sending me out my $400+ state check, but when it comes to my $2700 federal check, there’s a problem, I might not be who I say I am!!!!!! On top of that they sent ONE of my second stimulus checks to an unknown bank account, leaving me to struggle to find that money too. How did they manage to do that??? The first stimulus came to me as a paper check, I also received ONE $600 payment of second stimulus checks, the other $600 for my child went God knows where, some unknown, unreachable account, and the third stimulus check I received mine and my sons in my checking account. So how is it they can find me for the first check, part of the second check, and the third check, but decide to do something different with the $600 that was for my child, I don’t get it!!!!! I’ve filled out for the child tax credit, and also filed the paper to put a trace on it, but nothing seems to be helping me at all. 
With my taxes, it said if they don’t hear from you then they will make an appointment for you to come in and resolve the matter in question, but I have tried and tried, to get through like they’ve ask, but keep encountering the same thing, no matter what time of day or night it is, the supposed, never ending “high call volume” 

Im at my wits end, I don’t know what else to do. At this point, If it was only a small amount of money I would say KEEP IT, but you’re talking a little over $3300., not chump change, and  I desperately need that money!!!!! If anyone has any other suggestions, PLEASE, let me know, because everything that I’m doing, exactly what they tell you to do, just isn’t working, there has to be another way to get in contact with them???? 
If I owed them money, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be this difficult to reach them!!!!! After 6 months they can’t possibly still have this astronomical amount of calls coming through from early morning, until 7pm, the call volume HAD TO have slowed down somewhat????? I just want to reach them to give them the information they need to at least process my taxes, as far as that second stimulus, well, that will probably be a different kind of adventure I’ll be forced to endure for the NEXT 6 months!!!!! 

you can try IRS taxpayer Assistance but that's often a failure too.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f911.pdf 

you can try using form 911. read the instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f911.pdf 

maybe you can contact a local IRS office for an in-person visit (look in your phone book? or search the web using your zip code). if you get through to a human make sure to ask what forms you may need to bring to prove your identity.

good luck 

I realize this is anecdotal, and maybe I was just lucky, but I called the IRS a few days ago and found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:58 PM and quickly go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   And luckily, my hunch worked for me.  I still had to wait about 25 minutes.    

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

I’m having the exact same problem! 

GeckoEB
Returning Member

Im calling from abroad because I moved to the UK since the 2021 year. I got through to the number a few weeks ago (but was disconnected because high call volume) but now when I call it just instantly says my call can't be connected. Is this due to call volume or another issue I wonder?

@GeckoEB -  why are you trying to call?  if you are looking for your refund status, then the agents don't know anything more than the Where's My Refund Tool.  

GeckoEB
Returning Member

I sent my paper refund in february. The 'where's my refund' tool only asks if I have entered my details correctly - but it is definitely correct. Thus, I would ask them, does this mean my refund was never received? I want to know if I need to send it in again. 

@GeckoEB

MAILED RETURNS

https://www.businessinsider.com/taxpayers-filing-paper-returns-wait-6-months-tax-refund-2022-4#:~:te...

It can take weeks  (or a LOT longer since the IRS is severely backlogged) for anything to show up on the IRS site when you mail a tax return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

If you are wondering if you should send your return again——the IRS does not want you to file a second time.   Putting two tax returns into the system at the same time can lead to confusion and even more delays.   If you did not use tracking and do not know if the return was received—-you have to make your own judgment call and decide if you want to risk further delay by sending the return again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
GeckoEB
Returning Member

Thank you for this helpful information.

I did use a tracked delivery and so I was confident that it arrived there fine. I attached my W-2 and signed my return. I was mostly confused as to the lack of status on the 'where's my refund'. As you say, it may be that it has not even begun to be processed, and therefore is not yet listed as received. 

I will continue to wait, but if I don't see anything by the end of the year I will start to get anxious!

Thank you again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies